Why does everyone dive in the AM?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lopez116

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just curious - why does everyone do all their shore diving so early? It seems like everyone gets to Laguna at 7/730. Do conditions worsen later in the morning/early afternoon?

Here are my reasons for Laguna spots.
1) Parking...got to get there early for good spots
2) Get a dive in before students and crowds muck up the viz.
3) Get a dive in, go to brunch with friends, and still have a good part of the day to do other things.

Those are the reasons I've heard, but if everyone thinks that way, wouldn't everyone be perpetuating nos. 1 and 2? Circular reason to some extent, but still...

Not just in the States but applicable in many places around the world:

Afternoons can bring sea-breezes- Land heats up, air rises, sucks in cooler air from the water.
Light is a factor while diving- morning light gets better during the dive, afternoon light deteriorates.
If an incident happens, better it be in the morning than afternoon with failing light.

to name a few.

I have the most energy after a good nights sleep. The wind here in NE also pick up during the afternoon.

Personally I like to wait until I've had my coffee. Although I'm up and working by 7:00 most mornings, I'm not finished with my coffee until about 10:00 AM. When it's summer and the dive park is crowded, I often prefer night diving.

Those are the reasons I've heard, but if everyone thinks that way, wouldn't everyone be perpetuating nos. 1 and 2? Circular reason to some extent, but still...

Not really for #1 (parking), not many sunbathers or families out at 7am taking up parking spots. In winter you might be able to push the time back a little bit, but on a nice weekend during summer it can be a zoo later in the day. Some people try to time when divers are leaving to get their spots to show up later, but it has never worked out for me. There have been times when leaving the beach after diving and notice traffic backed up almost to the 5 fwy on the 133 heading to the beach. They all have to park somewhere.

the department of sanitation flushes out the offshore pipes from the plant at 2pm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom