Black face guages mixed with White face gauges- Problems?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beanojones

Contributor
Reaction score
Cross posting this in the sidemount thread as well:

Black face gauges mixed with White face gauges- Problems?

In the middle of overhauling rental loaner sets, and I am interested in trying out black face gauges for the fleet, but I am concerned that mixing black face gauges, and white face gauges will somehow interfere with the subconscious gauge monitoring. (I have a crappy old ScubaPro gauge that has a black face, and it is a problem when I use it with other gauges, but then again it is a crappy old gauge, with a weird overall display, and bubble shaped face.).

Anyone diving black face gauges have any thoughts? Issues? Espcially when mixing a bunch of gauges together?

Anyone have any thoughts about mixing guages of different size and shapes together, regardless of color?

Does black work better at night? (Again mine does not, but crappy old gauges are crappy old gauges.)

black or white is a personal choice thing. I happen to like the black faced white lettered SPG's myself. If you have rental gear that has both styles I don't think it's really an issue. You should only have one person checking one gauge...... theirs and not everyone else's!!!! So different gauges on different sets of rental gear should not be a factor. And the ones I have seen the white numbering is photo-luminescent for low light night ops. Just hit it with some light for a few seconds and off you go. B.

At first I was worried about racism, but then I noticed I wasen't in the pub.

Personally, I find that I'm more interested in the reading than the the gauge face. The subliminal will change to more conscious because of the difference, possibly annoying rather than a problem. I had to check, but I have a mix depending on what I grab.

Bob
-------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom