Hollis SMS 100 buttplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vicp

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All (I have also posted this on the CDF forum).

I have been playing in a pool with the Hollis SMS 100 and a Gopro video camera trying to fine tune my configuration and have come to the conclusion that I do not like the SMS 100 buttplate. I really did not realize all that was going on until I started making short video clips (done about a dozen so far) after each change. I am trying to get a streamlined configuration or configurations to accommodate different scenarios (different cylinders and exposure suits). I highly recommend taking video of oneself if you have the equipment, it is truly eye-opening. You really look a lot lot different than you think you do. Video analysis is fairly prevalent in many sports.

Anyway, back to the SMS 100:

1) The buttplate/rails sit above (on top of) the wing, making for a fairly long back leash to drop the rear of the tanks to make them level and that also lets them rise quite a bit once the tanks (Fabers and AL80s) get light. If you try to do rolls, the tanks really flop all over the place. Most, if not all, of the other rigs - including the SMS 50 have their buttplates below the wing.

2) If clipped off to the rails (unless at the very bottom), the rear leash lies on or get impacted by the wing. Even Edd's mod of placing the Dive Rite door handles up higher puts the leashes down the widest part of the wing. Wing inflation then changes the tank position and trim.

Looking at videos of people diving the SMS, a lot of them seem to have the tails high vs. the valves. Many also have the rear leash at an angle to the rear (trying to get to tanks forward for trim?), requiring an even longer length to not raise the tails.

What I am looking for is an easier way to get the tanks in line with my body without lengthening the back leash even more. I do have the valves fairly high - almost stuffed into my armpits. What I am looking for is the tank trim I see in Steve Bogaerts' videos - I realize he uses AL80s and clips off at the waist.

My question is to all you SMS 100 users, including those that swear by Edd's mods (I have incorporated most if not all of them at one time or another with varying levels of success), do you have any of the issues listed above with the use of the SMS 100 buttplate? Have any of you given up on that buttplate and simply gone to waist belt ring attachment (for steel tanks?) or modified the rig (a different buttplate/butterfly - under the wing) in other ways?

I think that I am going to try clipping to the waist belt or some other arrangement under the wing. After looking at a dozen or more video clips, I really do not like the buttplate setup on the SMS 100. I may even try to either modify the harness or make a Razor-like clone using the SMS wing (I have the Highseas Millworks hardware).

Thanks for any input.

I bought the SM 100 from Edd and with his modifications. I've been side mounting for 10 yrs. I started with a homemade then the Armadillo then fell in love with the original Nomad. In seeing there were differences I paid Edd to spend the day with me and help me get situated. It was well with the money. Easier then trial and error. He explained every inch of it and reasons why. Then we got in the water and did a few drills. The inflation system was different so we practiced. Also getting in and out of it. Then we did a couple dives! It was great! The tanks are supposed to be on ur sides not dangling below. His set up nothing moves. I could do cartwheels and the tanks wouldn't budge. Very simple set up.
If ur able to I would suggest letting Edd help u. Spend one day instead of many frustrating days. Just my experience.

If you have the video of yourself working through this, can you post it ongoing as you work towards solving it? Also if anyone has the Edd Mods on a SMS 100 and can post pictures vids as to what these mods are...

I bought the SM 100 from Edd and with his modifications. I've been side mounting for 10 yrs. I started with a homemade then the Armadillo then fell in love with the original Nomad. In seeing there were differences I paid Edd to spend the day with me and help me get situated. It was well with the money. Easier then trial and error. He explained every inch of it and reasons why. Then we got in the water and did a few drills. The inflation system was different so we practiced. Also getting in and out of it. Then we did a couple dives! It was great! The tanks are supposed to be on ur sides not dangling below. His set up nothing moves. I could do cartwheels and the tanks wouldn't budge. Very simple set up.
If ur able to I would suggest letting Edd help u. Spend one day instead of many frustrating days. Just my experience.
How long is your rear leash (tank to clip - assume you are using a butterfly or snap bolt) and do you have any pictures of your sidemount profile/trim?

Edd typically uses heavier tanks (Worthingtons and/or FX-100 (HP) Fabers) that tend to stay down. Have you done any cartwheels or rolls? If the leash has any length, the tank tails will fall down when inverted (or rise towards diver if tail light). Then also, if the loop bungees (what Edd uses) are fastened just around the valve knob on the outside of the diver's body, the tank will roll up the back leash if and when it gets tail light - that is why people use heavier tanks or weights on the cam band for this setup.

I am not looking for advice such as "go see Edd." I have talked and met with Edd several times (have not been in the water with him) and have greatest respect for him and Frank. I did buy the SMS 100 and just about all the mods for it from him (that I have installed and uninstalled several times myself). I am looking for a discussion and feedback on the issues that I have stated above - namely that the buttplate sits above the wing, therefore influenced by the wing and requiring a longer rear leash.

---------- Post added June 20th, 2013 at 01:49 PM ----------

If you have the video of yourself working through this, can you post it ongoing as you work towards solving it? Also if anyone has the Edd Mods on a SMS 100 and can post pictures vids as to what these mods are...
I have been typically overwriting the videos once I got the information needed, but when I get a chance, will extract stills from those that I still have and make in the future.

I use a cam band ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371752219.424614.jpg
The weight is for AL80's. I have the distal edge of the cam band approx 6 inches from the bottom of the tank. The clip of the leash is pointed up towards the valve end of the tank.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371752499.503714.jpg
I attach the valve with the bungees. I also use the leash around the tank valve to tighten it up.
My gear is up on cave country so can't post a picture.
I haven't turned cartwheels I have turned on my back and extreme aside to side and head down. The tanks don't move.
I didn't mean to sound like I was doing a sales pitch for Edd. Personally I just find it easier to take a class or get a mentor when it's something totally new and then fine tune it to my own needs. That's just me.

Also I connect my tanks on the upper "door handles". I haven't decided if I'm going to keep the lower ones on or not. They aren't hurting anything so may just keep them on.
I've had lots off air in the wing and haven't noticed it pulling on the tanks.
The fun thing about side mount is different things work for different people.

Is it stretching to reach?

One thing I played around with (I am using the Nomad Ring Bungie) is making the clip 'float' over the weight belt keeper. SO the eye of the clip maintains the same distance to the tank, but there is up and down the line of the body, movement possible.

Also I connect my tanks on the upper "door handles". I haven't decided if I'm going to keep the lower ones on or not. They aren't hurting anything so may just keep them on.
I've had lots off air in the wing and haven't noticed it pulling on the tanks.
The fun thing about side mount is different things work for different people.
Thanks Diverlee for the pictures. That leash is really short. If you attach it to the upper door handles that Edd puts on, the tank must really ride high in the rear, that is, the leash never touches the wing and the tanks by rear leash must be next to/on the side of the wing. Then how high are your valves? If they are they are just behind your armpit, the tank will be slant down forward relative to the body, like in the picture below (sorry for the grainy screen capture of a low resolution video I quickly found on-line). It is a demo of the SMS 100 by the way).

sms-1.jpg

I guess my issue may be that I am looking for a trim like the picture below. It is a demo of the SMS 50 by the way. Notice that the tanks do not seem to be clipped off on the buttplate but on the waist belt.

sms-2.jpg

Maybe I am expecting too much to get the trim in the second picture from the stock or Edd modded SMS 100.

The question then may be, is the trim in the first picture or the second picture preferred/correct? What do you all think?

Last edited:
Here is what I get out of my sms 100 using 6 inch leashes from the knot to the attachment on the butterfly snap. And it is an edd modded 100.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1371760617829.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371760617829.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 296
  • uploadfromtaptalk1371760628877.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371760628877.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 317
Here is what I get out of my sms 100 using 6 inch leashes from the knot to the attachment on the butterfly snap. And it is an edd modded 100.
The trim looks good for the diver (I imagine it is you AK) with the Edd modded handles. The other diver (yellow hose) using stock "towel racks" does have the tanks slanting down towards the valves - not the same trim as your's.

My rear leashes are 4 1/2 " long and I could get my tanks more parallel (to the body) with a longer leash, but that is just more slop to deal with light tailed tanks (when breathed down) and when going inverted. If your tanks are not tail light and you don't go upside down you should be all set as your trim looks good.

Back
Top Bottom