First time in LA/SD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'll be visiting LA and SD for the first time in mid-July and I'm hoping to get a day or two's worth of diving. I'm quite attracted to Coronado right now, although the kelp forests seem like a pretty cool dive too (not sure where; my lack of understanding means that I think they're all the same). I prefer seeing wildlife/nature in a relatively untouched environment, so I'm not too fond of the wreck dives at the moment.

Does anyone have suggestions on other types of sites I should look for before I book my dives?

Coronado is a city just west of downtown San Diego...and although it has a beach that is consistently rated as one of the nation's best, it is not really known for its diving (this beach is also used by Navy SEALs for training. You might see them out there).

Los Coronados Islands (which can be seen from the city of Coronado) are just southwest of San Diego in Mexican waters, usually accessed by the Humbolt (Waterhorse Charters) dive boat as the Mexican government has imposed new licensing regulations that most operators don't want to deal with. (And I believe the Yellow Charter Boat is also still going out there).

For me, Kelp is the most beautiful thing in the ocean. I think its what makes California diving so enjoyable. I'd say the major areas for Kelp diving in San Diego are Point Loma and La Jolla. Dive boats love to go to Point Loma. They're less inclined to go to La Jolla since the underwater topography is less interesting (or so I've heard since no boat has ever taken me there).

In San Diego, you can also do a shore dive in La Jolla and access the kelp beds that way. If I were you I'd definitely do La Jolla Cove (not La Jolla Shores. There is not one strand of kelp at La Jolla Shores) for a kelp dive, for three reasons: 1) It's protected from shore break 2) Is a very popular dive and you'd hit one of the two main shore dive spots in San Diego (the Shores being the other) and 3) Its a protected underwater park and so there's more life than you might otherwise find.

Outside of San Diego, the Channel Islands are considered superior dive locations to the mainland, with San Clemente Island generally standing out as the apex location for kelp diving. There are a few boats that will go there out of San Diego and a few more out of Long Beach/San Pedro. If you're interested in this option just ask and some of us can point you to the boats. You're typically looking at $175 - $400 per trip depending on the number of days.

There are also dive sites in Orange County and Los Angeles such as Laguna Beach and Pacific Pallisades that I'm less familiar with. I'm sure others here will chime in w. more information about those.

And a couple of videos to whet your appetite: VIDEO1 VIDEO2

Last edited:
My suggestion is while in San Diego, take a charter boat to San Clemente Island. While in LA, take a charter boat to Catalina Island. You can't go wrong by diving at these two islands.

Since you are from Toronto, Canada, do not log dives, (why?) and have been diving a year (wow!) I would strongly suggest that you contact Alex or Diana at SCUBA 2000 in your fair city. They visit SoCal often and have made both shore dives and dives at the park.

I suspect a set down visit and chat would be most valuable.
SDM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. With so many fantastic choices in the area, it's difficult to choose! The only problem I have now is the lack of time. I have 3 full days and 2 half-days for LA/SD, which means I'll probably end up diving on 1 of the full days, sight-seeing for the other 2, and chilling/driving between the two cities on the half-days. This helps too as I'll already have blown my budget on skiing just prior to my arrival in LAX.

Sam, I don't log dives since I'm not particularly interested in the record keeping aspect. I just dive the enjoy the moment! Thanks for suggesting Scuba2000 (I visited the shop just before getting my OW). I'll keep that in mind next time when I return to Canada.

Just take a boat to Catalina Island. It's a sure thing. San Clemente is my favorite island but it also belongs to the US Navy and they can close it at practically a drop of a hat.

Just take a boat to Catalina Island. It's a sure thing. San Clemente is my favorite island but it also belongs to the US Navy and they can close it at practically a drop of a hat.
Actually it is closed now from what I hear (except for a couple sites - not worth the trip). We were suppossed to have a 2 day trip there this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom