Yucatec Divers, Alain Pocobelli, TDI Instructor 17063 , Cavern and Cave Diving course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wet Eden

New
Reaction score
You might ask why we waited so long to write this report. Simple answer is we wanted a response from TDI first. Problem is, to get an answer from them is almost like getting milk from a Step-mother with a wooden breast. We wrote to them for details on how a cave diving course should be run and lodge our complaint but got no response.

We met Larry from Yucatec Divers, Yucatan, at DEMA 2012 and decided to do our Cavern and Intro to Cave diving course with them. We sent several emails back and forth deciding on dates and the duration of the course. We did some research on the resort, dive centre and instructor, Alain Pocobelli. Since the owner and the instructor were Swiss, we thought it should be good. Nowhere did we read anything bad about the dive centre or Alain.

First the dive centre is NOT equipped for cave diving. They recommend you bring your own 7mm wetsuit as they only have 3mm. Take your own dive booties and open heel fins, as they only have closed heel fins.

We booked 8 days in Playa del Carmen in March 2013.
First impression: we arrived at the dive centre and not the hotel. The owner, Yves first words. "What are you doing here?" "You should not be here, this is not your hotel" Not hello, sorry this is the dive centre, your hotel is around the corner! Nice.

First day of the course. We sat through a day of theory. Fine, we expected it. Alain is a volcano of information and we don't doubt his knowledge. Just the delivery of the information. We got really confused and asked questions to clear up some points. My wife were told on several occasions not to interrupt, that he has just explained it and with a sigh and shaking of the head explained the material exactly the same way as before. We stopped asking questions after a while.

Second day. We had to go buy dive booties as Yucatec Divers does not have booties. They also did not have open heel finns. I had to dive with 2x 6mm wetsuits as they don't have 7mm wetsuits, as they recommend you have for diving the Cenotes. All dive gear supplied was the property of our instructor. So how can Yucatec be a 5star cave dive centre if they don't have the right equipment?
Back to the training. We went to the Cenotes where we received a morning of talking from Alain. We spend 1h on line laying and line following training. At one point, my wife and Alain got into an argument as she wanted to ask a question and he brushed her off. He apologized but we decided not to ask too many questions. We went into the water and did some buoyancy control exercises and then some line drills. NOT all the drills we did in the water were practiced on dry land. Some were explained in the water and we did not get all of them right.
We left the dive site a bit negative but over dinner and later that night after reading our dive manual, we decided to go into it positively.

Day 3. Alain reported sick so we spent the day on the beach.

Day 4. We went straight into the water. We did no viz following the line and out of air drills. Again we did drills in the water we'd never practiced on dry land. My blindfold was ripped off my face so hard by Alain that my mask went with it. I asked him not to rip off my mask so hard as it's a bit expensive. No reaction!
On one drill I was swimming blind folded in front and felt something unusual on the line. I removed my hand from protecting my head and forgot to protect my head again. Something very hard hit my head, I thought it was a rock as it made me see stars. Later Alain admitted it was his fist that he hit me with to simulate swimming into a rock.
My wife commented on her experience while doing an Advance Nitrox course in South Africa. Alain told her that the instructor in SA was an idiot and had no idea what he talked about. Unfortunately the instructor in SA is a personal friend and after consulting the material concerned we discovered that Alain was the wrong one.

That night we talked and decided to stop the course. This decision was not taken lightly as this was one of our most expensive holiday/dive courses.
We are extremely disappointed as we looked forward to this course for almost a year.

We did research of Yucatec Divers and Alain Pocobelli but could find no negative comments. We are impressed with his knowledge and dive experience, just the manner of teaching leaves a lot to be desired!

My question: how many people did not finish this course with Alain?

Randel van Heerden, PADI Speciality Instructor
Stephanie Périllard, PADI Dive Master, CMAS Advanced Nitrox

Thank you for sharing this. I'm researching cavern/cave instructors and locations in Mexico and hoping to set something up for next year.
so sorry yo had such a bad experience. Are you still in Mexico?

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad time with your course. I can't comment on the dive center or instructor, as I've heard of neither when I've been in the area. I am surprised, though, that you showed up to take this level of training without your own exposure protection and gear. It's not the place to be struggling with unfamiliar equipment. It's hard walking away from a course you've paid for and traveled to get to--I did it a couple of years ago with a trimix course that just didn't feel right. If you decide to give it another try, I'd speak to the guys at Protec in either Playa or Tulum. The caves are beautiful there, and well worth some work to see.

I will not play the game of arguing openly with you, internet is treacherous and forums even more, therefor my presence on forums is none.

I couldn't really leave that thread completely unnoticed though, and not really because of your complaining about me, but because you're actually actively looking for other potential students who have been unhappy about my training, and this openly on a forum. It is definitively in the purpose of hurting my reputation, and it's extremely unfair.

Sure, of course, I'm a diving professional since 10 years, and 8 years active in the cave diving community, so certainly you'll find one or the other unhappy students.

You have chosen not to talk with me before leaving the class, when a discussion could have solved it all, but now you come clean your laundry in public. I guess I leave you to your witch hunting.

Anyone who wants my explanation or another point of view on what happened is free to contact me, or I'll answer on that thread with pleasure.

Alain Pocobelli
IANTD & TDI Cave Instructor

I had the pleasure of training with Alain for my Full Cave. I have also done trainging with Protec and dived with many other people, both in cave and during my techinical training path. I can tell you Alain is a very good instructor, who pushes the limits of what you can achieve in a tough course such as cave. He is not suited to everyone, since he takes his cave diving very seriously. There is no instructor for everyone. My original Advanced Nitrox instructor came very highly recommended. I thought he was no good. I won´t call names, because I understand that HIS STYLE and MY EXPECTATIONS did not match. He is probably very good for others. Some people are looking for a nice guy, and a nice ride. Some of us are looking to be demanded and pushed to our limits. Some personalities clash. But I can attest Alain is NOT a guy that will put you in danger, or cut corners, or settle for mediocre. Does he sometimes overplay his harsh personality? Probably. I don´t get offended by those things. Some people might.

But it´s important to find an instructor that fits what you EXPECT from him and the course. And to be quite honest, you complaints about the dive center and the wetsuits, and the booties ... you are both dive pros, and you expect hand holding? Really, at that level of diving you don´t consider you should own your own thermal protection. Maybe you should just dive with all inclusive hand holding resorts, and that should also be the type of tourism you do.

Oh well ...

3 years ago I dove with Yucatek and passed my TDI Intro to Cave certification with them, although not with Alain, who I do not know. The dives and the training were well organised and structured. The dive center's staff including Yves were friendly and helpful. There was nothing for me to complain.
I fully agree with the previous post that the perceived performance of an instructor depends very much on your own expectation. And maybe the expectations should be different when signing up for cave training as compared to an OWD certification.

Patrick

We did research of Yucatec Divers and Alain Pocobelli but could find no negative comments. We are impressed with his knowledge and dive experience, just the manner of teaching leaves a lot to be desired!

My question: how many people did not finish this course with Alain?
When I went looking for a cave instructor, like many others I did some research, that research provided me with a list of names. A few emails later, the list was narrowed considerably and after a few phones calls directly to the instructor the list was even smaller.
It doesn't matter what level of certification you are seeking, a face to face or phone conversation with your potential instructor goes a long way.

Anyone who wants my explanation or another point of view on what happened is free to contact me, or I'll answer on that thread with pleasure.
Come on Alain, everyone enjoys a good forum free for all. :wink:

Last edited:
I do not know Mr. Pocobelli or the dive operator, but I have had a very bad experience with a cave class because I didn't do my homework.

When you work as intensely with someone as you do with a cave or technical instructor, your learning style and his teaching style HAVE to mesh or the experience will be an unpleasant one. I know that I could not work at all with an instructor who did not permit questions, as I ask a ton of them. And a style which is too confrontational tends to shake my confidence -- now, you might consider that a problem in a cave would shake my confidence, but I handle emergencies well (I have to; it's my profession!). I just don't handle disapproval gracefully.

The spectrum of instruction in technical disciplines ranges from very military to very civilized, and you have to find the instructor that works for you. I'm sorry you didn't know enough about this man to know he would not work for you. And like others, I am a little surprised that you expected to rent everything you needed for a technical diving class from the shop, without discussing this ahead of time.

I can certainly understand Alain's refusal to respond to the various points raised by the OP. But, and given the post from El Gaucho, I'd be willing to bet that the OP's post is accurate -- as is Alain's response. It certainly sounds like this was a match made in hell, not in heaven which is too bad.

AS AN INSTRUCTOR, although a recreational instructor, not a cave/technical instructor (actually I am both but only from the standpoint of having the cards) I believe it is my duty to make sure I connect with my students. It is NOT the student's job to connect with me. TO THE EXTENT that Alain misread his students, it is too bad for all concerned.

Perhaps he could use this as a teaching moment to rethink some of his strategies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom