How does Anilao rate..?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wiggsy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Many thanks to those who have helped me in my search for a new destination in the Philippines. I am tossing up between Aiyanar (a new resort at Anilao - which looks superb); Salamangka in Siquijor and Kasai Village at Moalboal. All very different locations, I know. But I would just be interested in any comments on how diving in Anilao rates. Being so close to Manilla and a coastline full of resorts concerns me a little...? Is it dived heavily and too 'touristy'? Only macro?? I'm yet to see much inspiring video footage..Just after some recommendations. Thanks...

Based on my experiences recently at Club Ocellaris outside Anilao, I'd say the following. With a few exceptions it seemed the divers who were diving at the resorts in Anilao were pretty serious divers and less intrusive than divers you might find in other areas like the Caribbean. I wouldn't really call it a resort town as (at least based on my experience) there was relatively little interaction with other dive ops and no night time activity (too tired from great long days of diving to even think about it). As far as being close to Manila, I don't see that as an issue because it really isn't that close. Most subjects I filmed there were macro... no pelagics.

Anilao caters a lot to weekend divers from Manila, so during the week it's largely deserted (and even on weekends I wouldn't say its "crowded"). It's not very touristy at all. Anilao is "up there" with the top macro destinations in the world, and might be the single best area to go for nudibranchs anywhere. While you'll find good coral, nice walls, and schools of (small) fish in some places, it's primarily a destination for macro, especially rare macro. The other places you are considering are different, but neither is close to what I'd say is the best the Philippines has to offer. I'd consider places such as Malapascua and Sogod Bay before Moalboal and Siquijor. I think Anilao is fantastic and rarely miss the opportunity to dive there if I'm going to be in the Philippines.

Of the three places that you are considering, Anilao is the clear top choice. The diving is excellent, and the area is not terribly developed. Yes, there are a number of resorts near one another on the coast, but each one is rather hard to get to from the others, so mostly people just hang out at their own resort. You might want to consider costs for any boat diving you do during the week. It's pretty typical for the dive ops to charge per boat if there are only a couple/few passengers, so it can get a little pricey. Anilao isn't ONLY macro, but it's LARGELY macro.

Don't confuse Anilao with Puerto Galera, it is not touristy. Not only do the resorts tend to be isolated, even when they are proximate, but there are so many dive sites there isn't any real crowding. Excellent variety also. You can do serious muck diving or healthy coral diving at sites within a few hundred yards of each other. No thoughts on the other places but yeah, I would sure do Anilao again.

Oh, hey Quero. Is being "LARGELY macro" kinda like being "JUMBO shrimp"?
:eyebrow: // ww

While people are recommending Anilao in an active post, can I hijack and re-ask a question?

Are there homestays/pension houses/dorm accommodation in Anilao for PHP500 ish per night?

I crossed Anilao off my Philippines list last time as I was advised that it is impossible to find cheap accommodation.

Nic

While people are recommending Anilao in an active post, can I hijack and re-ask a question?

Are there homestays/pension houses/dorm accommodation in Anilao for PHP500 ish per night?

I crossed Anilao off my Philippines list last time as I was advised that it is impossible to find cheap accommodation.

Nic

I wonder how many places in Philippines can offer P500.00 ish per night. BTW, how much the "ish" stretch to?

Really spartan accomodations. Communal baths. access to kitchen. fan rooms. That was the rate before at our instructors place, 6 bunk beds per room, fan. Either we cook our own food or pay the caretaker to go to the market for us. I'd feel uncomfortable if not in a group because your new room mate might have itchy fingers.

But in the northern destinations like Sagada, you can get decent lodging for less than 500. Usually hostels and dormitories

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom