First DPV!?!?! Buying Used or New

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ermaclob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I've been feeling the itch for a while now pushing me to get a scooter. i have very little knowledge on DPVs and how they work, so dont feel 100% on getting one untill i understand what it is to look for. if anyone can point out some important to know thing about them that would be great.

i am of course under a budget, and am considering finding a used one if the price and quality match. what are things to look out for when buying used. im mostly worried about finding replacement parts etc. im looking on putting down like $1500. i understand this is hilariously low of a budget and buying new is most likely not happening lol.

are there any recommended models that go for close to that price? they only real thing i would like in a DPV would be that it have a long run time and can pull me in full tech gear. size is not that big of a worry.

We are on our first season with our scooters and absolutely love them. You should find a nice Mako for under $1500 and more like $1000. You might want to check with TDS and CDF for some used scoots. There always seem to be more of them for sale on there. Good luck and enjoy the new toy when you get it.

I think you need to give more details about how you would use it.

What's a "long run time" ? 30 minutes ? 2 hours ??

Also, how deep are you going. Makos are only good to 130.

If I were to buy a DPV tomorrow would probably be a used UV-26. Around $2000, heavy, 2 hour + run time , rated for any sane depth. Seem to be lots of them for sale as divers upgrade to new,cooler,toys.

I'm up in Ft Lauderdale and have a Mako for $900 if you're interested

How tech will you be? A Mako is a fine tech scooter for short run in caves / dives that aren't deep. If you're going to take it up a notch - time for a tech scooter like a Silent Submersion, X scooter, Gavin or other. That said when you do wreck diving - a scooter can be something of a pain as they are helpful overall, but man are they a drag when you have to carry them with you up the deco. line, or hauling (SLA -batt) ones back onto the deck.

What do other people you'd like to dive with use? If theirs are faster and/or rated deeper than your DPV you're going to end up buying another in short order. Out of your budget, but worth consideration is the Sierra. A nice compromise of speed and depth rating for the cost.

Last week there were two Mako's for sale for about 500-600 on Ebay. I personally wouldn't pay more than $400 with good batteries. They are fine scooters for the 130' or less.

If you have 1500, save up a little bit more and get a UV18 or a UV26. Awesome scooters, very good depth, and will last you a long long time.

How much is a little more?

I have used peoples scooters but never thought about buying them, until wearing myself dragging around 3-5 tanks at depths up to 200 feet. Speed does not really matter, but power and runtime do.

If I think it all the way through, I would probably want two scooters to drag the tanks and a dead scooter back if I needed to. I can swim the course, and and have been doing it , but I am at the far end, and I am unable to finish laying the line very efficiently because of air constraints.

So what am I looking at in the up to 200 ft/60m range used?

A UV18 or 26.

I have a Salvo Mojo that needs batteries I'd let go for $1400. Batteries would put you at $500 more. You'd have almost the range of a UV26 in a 52lb shell on a scooter that will go deeper than 200'.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom