De Crane! De Crane!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
With the ever-persistent swells and dirty water around Palos Verdes lately, we decided to stay close to home this weekend. We made two dives on the crane off Haggerty's and were able to make lemonade out of lemons. Despite the brown surface water and greenish colored soup on the bottom, we found quite a few subjects for what is usually a boring dive.

Both moray eels were home. Merry saw both heads at the same time in her viewfinder, but a garibaldi blocked her shot before one of the eels retreated inside the crane.

Haggertys11_zps69bb206c.jpg

There are several garibaldi nests on the crane. The nest on the top wheel has had several eggs hatch this week. The rest of the eggs eyeballed me while I tried to get a shot. The male guarding the nest wasn't quite as happy to see me. I had never been flipped off by a fish before.

Haggertys16_zps41450d8b.jpg

Haggertys2_zps7b21a909.jpg

Haggertys13_zps7f45103a.jpg

The area around the crane had a few interesting critters but we had to look very closely to find them. The nudibranchs here are few and far between. The fish have learned the exact distance our cameras will focus in the gloomy water, and stay just beyond that line. A few allowed me to get a shot or two before disappearing.

Haggertys15_zps6be15697.jpg

Haggertys11_zps838dcc88.jpg

Haggertys8_zps53c80033.jpg

Haggertys3_zpscc2413d9.jpg

Haggertys5_zps24660d92.jpg

Haggertys3_zps302ebc82.jpg

Haggertys8_zps29641d98.jpg

Haggertys7_zpse4e339ce.jpg

Haggertys10_zpsb78bb5ef.jpg

Haggertys5_zps903c1b35.jpg

Haggertys2_zpsced845e9.jpg

Haggertys14_zpsb709d456.jpg

A sea star guards his box of Chiclets

Haggertys9_zps85c84ac3.jpg

Piddocks stand at attention

LOVE the starfish on the whelk eggs. That's modern art!

Fantastic set!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom