Nice article about Barry and Sea D Sea in today's Daily Breeze

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for posting the link, very nice story. I am going to miss Barry and his shop Sea d Sea. They have treated me and my buddies so well.
It is a well earned retirement for Barry and his wife. I wish them both well.

I can't think of a shop similar to SdS in the SoCal area. Going to miss Barry and the community there!

That shop should be, but won't be, listed as a "Historical Diving location" a dive shop in one location for 60 years

Mel Fisher,(LA Co UW Instructor) opened the Catalina Street shop in December, 1953. Mel & Delo ran it until he got gold fever.

The shop was purchased by Ed Marquand & Richard Pasker (LA Co UW Instructors) in the mid 1960sthey ran it for several years. Ed's wife passed away, he moved out of the area and sold is interest to his partner Richard who ran it for a short time

Richard Pasker sold it to Barry (LA Co UW Instructor) in 1969- 44 years ago

One of the few shops always owned and a operated by LA Co UW instructors.

Soon only a fleeting memory

Sam, you are so correct. I'm also surprised that there is no Diving Museum in California. Between Barry and Bob (Dive&Surf) they have so many historical dive gear they could start a museum easily. Talking to Barry these last few months and it is amazing some of the old gear he still has. He said he didn't want to start a museum but would contribute to the start of one.

Redondo Beach's Sea d Sea closes up shop

Redondo Beach’s Sea d Sea closes up shop

Sea d Sea co-owner Barry Friedman, 72, says goodbye to his shop this week. Photo by Saima Fariz

Scuba diving shop Sea d Sea closes its doors Jul. 31, leaving behind a four-decade legacy in the Riviera Village.
For owner Barry Friedman, 72, retirement will be bittersweet. He looks forward to the next chapter of his life, but will miss the last one.
Friedman remembers getting involved with the diving industry nearly half a century ago. A flyer caught the New Yorker’s attention in 1969, prompting him to take his first scuba diving lesson. He became an immediate diving enthusiast and left behind a career as a medical photographer to pursue his newfound hobby.
Friedman realized that the best way to become more knowledgeable about the industry was to start working in it.
“[Sea d Sea] was already a scuba store when I started working here, but it was poorly run,” he remembers. “The owner had the shop for only nine months; he just wasn’t interested in it. First time I came here, there was a sign on the door that read ‘Closed: Gone Diving’.”
Initially bought under a partnership that lasted roughly three years, Friedman and his wife Nancy have been the shop’s exclusive owners since 1972. Over the past couple of decades, Friedman has watched Sea d Sea and the diving industry change dramatically.
“People’s attitudes have changed. They don’t take up scuba diving as a hobby anymore, but rather as something to do for a short period of time on vacation,” Friedman said.
The downturn of the economy, the impact of the Internet, and rising airline baggage fees have also cut into sales. However, that hasn’t been enough to diminish Friedman’s love for his job.
“I had to undergo spine surgery a couple years ago to remove a disc. From the hospital after the surgery, however, I was sitting on the bench in my shop to answer any questions my customers would have,” Friedman said, with a smile.
Starting Aug. 1, all the scuba equipment and gear covering the shelves of Sea d Sea will be replaced with gifts and novelties by artists. Harmony Works, which until recently was located at the corner of Catalina Ave. and Avenue I, will move into the building.

One thing is certain: that Sea d Sea will always be a big part of the Friedman family’s life and the history of Riviera Village.

Congrats on your retirement, Barry! I appreciated your friendship and advise during my 2 years in SoCal.

Sea D sea and Barry's retirement was discussed in detail a month ago

My contribution to that discussion

That shop should be, but won't be, listed as a "Historical Diving location" a dive shop in one location for 60 years

Mel Fisher,(LA Co UW Instructor) opened the Catalina Street shop in December, 1953. Mel & Delo ran it until he got gold fever.

The shop was purchased by Ed Marquand & Richard Pasker (LA Co UW Instructors) in the mid 1960sthey ran it for several years. Ed's wife passed away, he moved out of the area and sold is interest to his partner Richard who ran it for a short time

Richard Pasker sold it to Barry (LA Co UW Instructor) in 1969- 44 years ago

One of the few shops always owned and a operated by LA Co UW instructors.

Soon only a fleeting memory

Much has NOT been written about Barry, but his So Cal history is immense!! Much to be explored and enjoyed by all..

Back
Top Bottom