My sidemount tank setup evolution.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deaconbest

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys,

I’ve recently worked out a few kinks in my sidemount setup, and thought I’d share with you all in case someone else has/had my problems.

When I initially did my sidemount training, I started using the bungee wrapped around the valve.

This is a good set up, but for me with large shoulders and a really long torso, I found that the bungee rode a bit under my arms. When I got in the water, it would keep my tanks trimmed really well and close to my body, so I dealt with it. Eventually, I relocated the bungees to the a back d-ring of my nomad, and found that the angle worked a bit better and causes less rub, while still holding the tank close.

In terms of fit, this felt a lot better, but I still had a couple problems.

(I dive sidemount open water, mostly from shore. This is actually the reason that I started sidemount, so the long steep walk down to the beach with tanks on my back could be replaced with bringing my tanks there without all my gear on, and then suiting up.)

The second problem I had was that in dry gloves or thick wet gloves, I found it really hard to grab the bungee, and separate them, placing one around my valve while getting smashed by the waves and tide. The solution I came up with was to take a short section of paracord and tie a zipper-pull to one side of the cord (short enough to interfere with anything) which made it a lot easier to separate the bungee, thus solving this problem.

The third issue I had, which I actually got some great answers from scubaboard a few months back, was that I also found it difficult to attach the bottom of my tank to the butt plate while getting smashed by those same damn waves. I tried butterfly clips, which worked a bit, but I soon got used to the XL snap bolts and went back to that set up.

Then I tried the ring bungee system.

This, for me as a shore entry sidemount diver, is the holy grail. I can clip the top of my tanks in the water at first, thus preventing my valve and first stage from accidentally hitting the rocks, or sand while donning my tanks in the surge.

If you dive in the same situations as this, I’d definitely recommend at least trying the ring bungee system to see if it makes your life a bit easier. I feel as though I have more control over my tanks while donning them at the beginning of the dive.

As an added bonus, when you couple the ring bungee with a tank choker, you can infinitely adjust the height of the tank based on your setup.

Finally, with this system, you use stage straps on your tanks – this makes lugging them around a whole lot easier than trying to walk half a mile holding steel 100s by the valve.

I hope some of this helps someone out, I’ll try to take some pics of the setup when I get home to clarify for anything that’s muddled.

Would love to see the pics. Just starting this and even though I am taking a SM class in a few weeks would like to start setting up the tanks. Regs are done. Actually dived the rig this past weekend and it worked but I know there are changes to be made. Going to watch Jill's video again tonite.

The ring bungees are one of the things I tried as well. Very easy and convenient system. I found that the tanks did not trim out as well though. However, when I was doing rough shore dives or boat dives, it was phenomenal. Glad you found a setup that worked for you!

The ring bungees are one of the things I tried as well. Very easy and convenient system. I found that the tanks did not trim out as well though. However, when I was doing rough shore dives or boat dives, it was phenomenal. Glad you found a setup that worked for you!

This is basically true, and I have decided that trim is a lot less important than other issues.

But the DiveRite videos show people diving in trim so there is a way to get there, apparently.

But Diveaholic said he has never seen anyone trim out perfect in the Nomad Ring Bungie system IIRC.

I am arguing with myself here a little, apparently.

On the inside top of the nomad system, there are multiple loops. I found that if I attach one side of the bungee to the closest loops in the middle, instead of the d ring on the side of the bladder, and double loop the ring with the standard length bungee, it pulls the tank back and forward, as opposed to straight back. (so when trimmed out horizontal, essentially the force that is applied to the ring pulls up towards the tops of your shoulders as opposed to your upper back.
If you adjust the bottom tank so that the strap is 1/3rd of the way up the tank, the weight of the bottom of the tank (with a steel HP) pulls the tank down and horizontal to your body.
Alternatively if you use ALs, I have tank boot weights that help do the same thing.
Finally, when I use the choker, and cinch it tight, it balances everything out great.

But yeah, honestly, when you're getting tossed around at the shoreline, sacrificing perfect trim is worth it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom