Topside Activities in Southern Leyte and Surrounds?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tiggy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm starting to try to put together our vacation for 2014 and the Philippines is one of the destinations we're considering for our first trip to Southeast Asia. We're probably looking at a two week trip and would like to spend about one week diving and the other doing topsiside activities. Having done a bit of reading on here, Southern Leyte is the area we're probably most interested in for diving. However, I've had a hard time finding information on topside activities. I've seen folks reference that there's lots of things to do in the area besides diving, but I've not been able to find any additional details. I've also got a Lonely Planet Philippines but it's also very slim on that area.

We're willing to island hop if needed, but would like to have no more than 3 "home bases" during the trip. Bohol and the Chocolate Hills looks like an option, but I'm not sure what else there is to do besides the Chocolate Hills and if there's an easy transit connection that doesn't require going back through Cebu.

We're a group of three adults with a wide variety of interests: history, nature, and cultural are all options. We're definitely not looking to sit on a beach, instead preferring to be active. We're also well past the party stage, early to bed and early to rise and would prefer to avoid lodging in an area with an active nightlife. I'd say we're looking for a mid-range place: not backpacker but we don't require luxury. Individual rooms (not dorm), private bathroom, hot/cold running water, and in-room electricity are the main requirements. Our timing is flexible but we prefer to avoid peak season if at all possible. Right now we're considering March/April or November as options.

Any suggestions on places to go/stay and topside activities in Southern Leyte or the surrounding areas? Additionally, any good Web resources for doing research?

Hi
I have not been to S Leyte as I spoke to people on my last trip to PI and they said is was v quiet. No life outside of the resorts at all and as I was travelling alone I decided against it. There is a guy called Dutch Pickle who posts on the web and he has details of his travels around SL on his site.
I am going to go to Biri Island in Samar in August. There is good diving (I hope!) and also rock formations to see. I think it will be very quiet there but a bit more to do and see out of the water.
The thing I have found with PI is that there are only a few places where it is busy. I stayed on Alona Beach (Bohol) a few years ago and it was only noisy on Saturday night. Maybe it's busier now though.
If you go to Sogod Bay I think that there are only a couple of places to stay anyway (Peter's and SB Resort?). I'm sure there will be other places not mentioned in the LP but you just have to have a look around when you get there. The other problem with LP guide is that by the time you get there it's often all changed anyway.
I would be interested to read about your trip to SL so hope you post a report when you have been.

Good Luck no matter where you go!

I have been to southern Leyte and for me it was great. I stayed at Sogod bay scuba resort, well priced mid range to slightly backpacker esque (no pool but rooms aircon, simple, clean), decent restaurant for Philippines, good dive setup. Diving was fab with everything from muck to macro to reef to walls and between nov-April whale sharks. The night dive at padre Burgos pier is the best night dives I have done ever.

Topside re nightlife none. Small bar and restaurant further along the beach, karaoke bar for locals in town. Unless new stiff has popped up in last 3 yrs. Re topside activities then Bohol is close. They have the chocolate hills, tarsiers, you can have lunch floating down the river, crocodile and wildlife rehab centre (houses one of the biggest snakes in the world), plus diving is great, beaches are great. In southern Leyte there is jungle trekking and a big network of caves you can explore with a guide. Beyond that and some waterfalls to visit, I don't know much else on the matter. SBSR will collect you from the airport. You can fly or get ferry to Bohol. Bohol in alona beach has a lot more places to eat and drink though nothing too rawdy. Plus nice beach. Diving Balicasag island is nice.

I would return to southern Leyte. You can also check out peters resort and I think there is another too. There are some links elsewhere with more info. Personally I saw more variety in Leyte then elsewhere in ppines I have been, pls of u get whalesharks then great!

Thanks for the info! Sounds like it may be a good option for what we want. We're flexible in timing so definitely looking to go during whale shark season. I'll take this back to the gang for them to discuss.

Good to hear that there are some interesting topside options. I'll continue scouring the web for information. Just a bit surprising how little information is out there! (Or I'm just not finding it!)

<snip>
I am going to go to Biri Island in Samar in August. There is good diving (I hope!) and also rock formations to see. I think it will be very quiet there but a bit more to do and see out of the water. <snip>

Please be sure to post a trip report after your trip. I've heard of this place (I think a man named Richard Ewen owns a resort there) and would be very interested to know how the diving actually is. I love diving at new off the beaten track places...

I am going to go to Biri Island in Samar in August. There is good diving (I hope!) and also rock formations to see. I think it will be very quiet there but a bit more to do and see out of the water.
Looking forward to your report on Biri in Samar.
Getting there is surely not that straight forward.

tiggy, I see you are going in 2014 so this information is still in time for you. I have been to PI 6 times, planning my 7th trip in April 2014. I have been to many good diving places all over PI. I have been to Alona Beach (Bohol) Balicasag Island 2 times. the diving there is great in my opinion. there is a huge school of jack fish and a huge 6 foot turtle at Balicasag Island. there is plenty to see on Bohol island it self. there is an all day land tour to see many sites on bohol. i stayed on alona beach for 10 days and had a great time. I will message you my number in case you want to call i am in the USA. I can answer all the questions you may have or never thought of. you are in for a great time in PI.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom