Diving Close to Manila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ams511

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I will be traveling to the Philippines next month. My question is where are the closest dive locations to Metro Manila? I will be staying in the Mandaluyong area if that matters.

This has been asked many times, do a search. In short, Anilao, Subic or Puerto Galera. All have their pros & cons

Anilao/Batangas - 2 hours from southern edge of Metro Manila. Primarily famous for muck/macro/photography. Expensive resorts, but some offer unlimited shore diving.
Puerto Galera - 2 hours from southern edge of Metro Manila, plus ferry. Variety of diving, with some pelagics. Cheaper accommodation.
Subic Bay - 3 hours from northern edge of Metro Manila. Historical Shipwrecks, wrecks and more wrecks. Wide variety of accommodation and nightlife.

Transit time around Metro Manila can vary enormously depending upon (1) the weather, (2) the time of day, (3) the day of the week and (4) public holidays etc. On the worse days, it can take as long just to negotiate the Metro Manila traffic as it does to complete the rest of your journey. If there are heavy rains/floods, then Metro Manila can grind to a literal stand-still for many hours.

Some links:

General Philippines Travel Advice: Philippines Travel Advice | Scuba Diving | Holiday Information

Subic Bay Dive Sites and Wrecks: Subic Bay Dive Sites | Map and Descriptions

Subic Bay Marine Life Photography: Subic Bay Underwater Gallery | Marine Life Photos

Travel Directions to Subic Bay: Travel Subic Bay | Directions for Travel

Anilao/Batangas Dive Sites: Scuba Diving Anilao and Batangas, Philippines | Dive Sites

This has been asked many times, do a search. In short, Anilao, Subic or Puerto Galera. All have their pros & cons

I did try to search using Manila and diving and got mostly unrelated posts. Thanks for better key words.

---------- Post added June 26th, 2013 at 09:58 AM ----------

Anilao/Batangas - 2 hours from southern edge of Metro Manila. Primarily famous for muck/macro/photography. Expensive resorts, but some offer unlimited shore diving.
Puerto Galera - 2 hours from southern edge of Metro Manila, plus ferry. Variety of diving, with some pelagics. Cheaper accommodation.
Subic Bay - 3 hours from northern edge of Metro Manila. Historical Shipwrecks, wrecks and more wrecks. Wide variety of accommodation and nightlife.

Transit time around Metro Manila can vary enormously depending upon (1) the weather, (2) the time of day, (3) the day of the week and (4) public holidays etc. On the worse days, it can take as long just to negotiate the Metro Manila traffic as it does to complete the rest of your journey. If there are heavy rains/floods, then Metro Manila can grind to a literal stand-still for many hours.

Some links:

General Philippines Travel Advice: Philippines Travel Advice | Scuba Diving | Holiday Information

Subic Bay Dive Sites and Wrecks: Subic Bay Dive Sites | Map and Descriptions

Subic Bay Marine Life Photography: Subic Bay Underwater Gallery | Marine Life Photos

Travel Directions to Subic Bay: Travel Subic Bay | Directions for Travel

Anilao/Batangas Dive Sites: Scuba Diving Anilao and Batangas, Philippines | Dive Sites

Thanks for the links and info. This is not my first trip to Manila so I am well acquainted with the traffic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom