Quero is a Cave Diver!!!!!!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSam

Sister of Shenanigans
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Yes, you heard it here first.

Quero traveled around the world to braved the cold spring waters of cave country and earned her Intro Cave Diver certification today.

Congratulations, Marcia!!!

Looking forward to diving fresh, and salt, water with you. :hugs:

Congratulations! Quite an accomplishment! Dive safely.

Way to go!

Congratulations on Intro and welcome to a beautiful new underwater world :bounce4:

Thanks, guys! I had very little trouble with the skills. My biggest problems all had to do with external-to-me stuff:
1) I had all new gear, so I struggled with it while getting it configured in the best way for me. I did the course in sidemount, and my bungies were too tight for part of the time, and I simply could not easily clip the tanks the way my instructor wanted me to do. On my last dive I just did it my own way and it worked better. I also wanted my inflator hose routed differently, and I needed a narrower crotch strap for comfort, but once all that got sorted out, it was fine.
2) I was cold. I kept putting more and more rubber on until I ended up with 14 mm of neoprene from a variety of garments, including a 1 mm dive skin (to make putting the rest on easier), a 3 mm core warmer, a 3 mm hooded vest, and a 7 mm full suit. My hands weren't cold, though.
3) I got three very sore fingers from pull and glide against a substantial flow in Devil's Ear from having worn my skin down to what I think must be the last few layers before actually reaching raw flesh. No blood, but sort of pink, sort of puffy, and shiny with no fingerprints. I'm going to stop at the drug store and try to find some liquid skin or something.

All in all, I'm pleased with the result and happy that my dive skills didn't suck so I only really needed to concentrate on learning new technical skills specific to caves, which was just enough task loading to make it interesting/challenging rather than frustrating.

3) I got three very sore fingers from pull and glide against a substantial flow in Devil's Ear from having worn my skin down to what I think must be the last few layers before actually reaching raw flesh. No blood, but sort of pink, sort of puffy, and shiny with no fingerprints. I'm going to stop at the drug store and try to find some liquid skin or something.

I have heard it called Ginnie fingers, and Devil's fingers, and sympathize completely. I showed up for the last day of class with white medical tape on all ten digits as a result from the previous day's dive in the Ear. :-(

Congrats!

Not to be a jerk, but...... With that much neoprene and (presumably steel) tanks, what was the plan for a wing failure? Were you using a double bladder?

I'm guessing drysuits are a rarity in Thailand? :D

Congratulations Marcia! I hope you don't think that 72 degrees is cold water though... :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom