Turks & Caicos - Where to dive? Who to dive with? Where to stay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cubbiegirlem

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just booked flights for a long weekend in Turks & Caicos in August. I've been researching Provo, Grand Turk, and Salt Cay. Anyone have any advice on where to stay for a short trip and which dive operator to use? We'll basically only have two diving days, flying in noon Friday and leaving late afternoon Monday, so it's a short trip and we'll want to maximize our time there. Looking for good diving, a pleasant beach to lay on after dives, perhaps some snorkeling, clean accommodations, and food that is safe and edible. Somewhere a bit quieter would be ideal; I'd like to avoid mega-resorts like beaches or anywhere else where the beaches feel overrun. However, I wouldn't be opposed to a large place if it doesn't have that "large resort" feel. Any thoughts on which area, which dive operator, and which hotel would be much appreciated. (Also, if you have thoughts on where NOT to stay, feel free to share!)

Last edited:
Love the Turks and Caicos.
We are also going to Salt Cay in August, just for a few days of diving. We dive with Salt Cay Divers - great folks. Richard, Divemaster, is the best. However, he leaves the island 8/20 for a while. Staying at Castaway this trip, but have also stayed at the Tradewinds - both are very nice. Castaways is nicer, but out away from the center of life. Tradewinds is right near the islands two restaurants and dive shop.
On Provo I've dove with Caicos Adventure and Provo Turtle Divers - both good folks, but I like Adventure the best.
Enjoy your trip!

We're going the first week of August. Staying at the Ocean Resort West, and diving with Dive Provo. My LDS recently did a trip and used Dive Provo and said they were exceptional. TripAdvisor rates them very high. If you're renting a vehicle, the consensus is don't rent from anyone except Grace Bay Car Rentals or Avis.

Speaking partially from ignorance of connections/flight schedules - do you want to spend the extra time getting there or want to "maximize our time there"?

Grace Bay Beach on Provo is one of the top 25 beaches in the world. It's also 12 miles long so you should be able to find somewhere nice.
http://www.turksandcaicostourism.com/hotel-resort.html And there's good snorkeling in many areas.

We found better diving off West Caicos and French Cay than off Provo's NW Point. I know Caicos Adventures (and I'm sure others) go there - about a 45min. ride.

Grace Bay Club caught my eye once when we were considering staying on-island (we did a liveaboard instead). It might be: "a large place if it doesn't have that "large resort" feel." but IDK. The Hotel is adults only - but they're 5 story buildings. Maybe not the smallest place though since there's also the Villas and the Estate on the same property.

Amanyara is that extremely pleasant, isolated place but you'll pay dearly for it...

There was a lot of kids at Beaches when we drove in there once. It's one with a special kids club/program.

There's some nice restaurants in Grace Bay so "edible" won't be an issue. Plus there's over 100 of them. Turks and Caicos Restaurant Guide Turks and Caicos Tourist Board

Speaking partially from ignorance of connections/flight schedules - do you want to spend the extra time getting there or want to "maximize our time there"?
Mostly I mean maximizing the R&R time. I know Grand Turks and Salt Cay would require connecting flights, but I don't think it would affect how much diving we can do since we probably won't dive Friday and definitely won't dive Monday anyway. It is definitely a benefit of Provo that we could be on the beach very shortly after landing and not have to wait for another flight, but my understanding is the flights are very short. I guess the only issue is how often they run, so I'll have to do some research into that. I do hear, however, that the boat trips from Provo are farther than from Grand Turk or Salt Cay so maybe all in all in terms of time it's a wash? I certainly don't mind spending time on a puddle jumper if the diving is much better as well.

As far as the "large resort," I don't mind a multi-story hotel or a large complex; I mainly don't want to go somewhere that is extremely crowded and loud where you feel like you're elbow to elbow at the beach or the pool. That whole thing where everyone goes out to the pool/beach at 6 AM and puts down their towels to reserve a spot isn't my game and certainly doesn't sound like a relaxing vacation to me :), so I would rather feel a little more removed from that.

Thanks to all for the helpful advice!

My wife and I stayed at the Royal West Indies Resort on Grace Bay beach for a couple of nights after our week-long liveaboard. Nothing overly special, but it was a very nice hotel and I'd recommend it. The beach generally only had a few people on it at a time, and we never had issues getting a lounge chair. They have free bike rentals, which we used a couple times to run down to the grocery store, perhaps a 5 or 10 minute bike. They also had Hobie Cats for resort guests to use for free. The on-site restaurant was pretty basic, but there were some very nice restaurants within walking distance. No snorkeling there, as there's nothing but sand. I understood that one of the resorts a couple of miles down the beach had some decent snorkelling, but never tried it. I think it was called Coral Gardens Resort, or something similar.

I had a friend who went a few months before I did. Can't remember where he stayed, but he used Caicos Adventures for his diving and highly recommended them.

James

We did a three day trip a couple years ago diving with Dive Provo and staying at the hotel right there, Ports of Call. Dive Provo is great and can't go wrong. Ports of Call was convenient, next to the dive shop, but not on the water. Basic clean place to stay. They do have beach access and their own section of beach. If you are going to dive both days, I would not worry about R&R time or beach time as you will not have much. Boat dives are long days on Provo. You need to be at the shop at least by 8:00 and if you are not on site you will need to be picked up. I think the earliest we ever got back was 2 PM on a Grace Bay dive, 4 PM from West Caicos and 6 PM on the 3 tank safari. That left time at the end of the day to clean up some gear, shower, rest and think about dinner. On dinner, I would recommend Jimmy's Dive Bar, at least one night. Right near the dive shop, looks a little edgy but the catch of the day cooked one of three ways was fantastic.

Last edited:
We split our last trip between Salt Cay and Provo. Used Salt Cay divers and Dive Provo. Both were excellent and I have to rate West Caicos as amazing. However doing Salt Cay days before with short trips to the dive sites and back really made those loooong trips back to Provo become a drag. I really liked having lunch right after the dive (you order before your 2nd dive) @12:30ish. Another note, I think only 1 property on Salt Cay has A/C. I won't ever do a villa with no A/C in the summer (tried that in Mahahual). We stayed over Christmas/NewYrs. We are going to Grand Turk this year as it looks to be a perfect mix of SC and Provo.
Quick minute trips to the sites and SI on land. Cheaper accommodation, groceries and more restaurant options than SC. And quite a few dive outfits. Only downside is the impact of cruisers and not having the Whole Foods..er IGA Graceway like on Provo.

i've been to grand turk quite a few times (used to work on ships). I recommend Blue Water Divers if you decide on grand turk. stay away from the cruise ship pier and you'll avoid the crowds. Most of the cruise ship tourists, stay on the cruise ship beach.

Am I missing something or are there only 2 restaurants on Salt Cay? I never noticed that till now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom