Are free swimming Remora's sure sign of a shark nearby?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BORG

Contributor
Reaction score
Tucker, Georgia, just northeast of Atlanta
# of dives
100 - 199
I was doing some beach diving in Panama City, Fla. last weekend and even though in all the years(30+) of beach diving there I have never seen a shark, I had a small,(about 10-12") free swimming remora swim along with me in about 8-10ft. of depth. A few minutes later he was joined by another one.
I have never seen a remora swimming by itself and was looking for a shark to show up at any time near where the remora's were to me.

Did this mean there were probably sharks nearby?

Thanks!

Remora attach themselves to different species not just sharks; turtles, rays, whales etc......And they can be 'free' swimming as well....I see them regularly in Venice, Florida when fossil hunting and have yet to see a shark there yet.........

My experiences with seeing them have never resulted in seeing a shark. They have been attached to turtles.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Remora != nearby shark
but they can provide loads of entertainment if you cut your dive short and bring them back to the boat ladder. Watching the returning divers panicked reaction as the remora tries to glom on to them is priceless.
my last encounter was while snorkeling in Jamaica in about 20 feet of water. No sharks, turtles or mantas anywhere in the vicinity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom