La County Advanced Diver Program / ADP.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve,

Congratulations! eh? ( My dear wife is Canadian born. eh?)

You finish this 100 hour program and you will be a true Advanced Diver!
The first, the best, never equaled LA Co ADP!

How about a week by week running synopsis as you experience the program?

SDM
LA CO 11 UICC
LA Co Out standing contributions to Underwater instruction-1965
LA Co Outstanding Underwater Instructor of the year -1969
NAUI, PADI and the rest of the Instructor alphabet

I concur with Sam... some of the best training you can get

Agree, Sam... but there are other training agencies with excellent instruction (mostly for technical diving). ADP is certainly at the top for recreational divers.

Steve,

Congratulations! eh? ( My dear wife is Canadian born. eh?)

You finish this 100 hour program and you will be a true Advanced Diver!
The first, the best, never equaled LA Co ADP!

How about a week by week running synopsis as you experience the program?

SDM
LA CO 11 UICC
LA Co Out standing contributions to Underwater instruction-1965
LA Co Outstanding Underwater Instructor of the year -1969
NAUI, PADI and the rest of the Instructor alphabet

LA County ADP Day 2 entries and exits at low tide at Leo Carillo State Beach "rocks , sand , rips , reefs , surge , swells , surf. 5 hrs of skin diving learning to acclimate to various water and weather conditions , dive site planning and evaluation , and learning to work with the water and let the water with with you. Instructor to candidate ratio was 2 to 1 and sometimes 3 to 1 depending on the candidate / student.:D

After reading your post yesterday, I looked into it and read the website's course description. The course sounds extremely comprehensive and I think you'll be a completely different diver after taking it. I'm just upset I didn't learn about it earlier!

Is it only once a year? How did you hear about it?

I googled advanced diver courses and adp was one of the programs that popped up , I then asked if anyone had any info or how many have taking the course on scubaboard and it was highly recommended. I missed it last year because of work but managed to be lucky enough this time. This course is only offered once a year.

Last edited:
Good for you. Enjoy the class and please report back!

A post from 2006.........(by mccabejc; January 25th, 2006)

LA County Advanced Diver Program

I want to encourage anyone who is seriously interested in a comprehensive advanced diver program to consider the LA County ADP. It should start sometime in July, and is typically a 10 weekend (including both Saturday and Sunday) program, with every third weekend off (kinda…), and runs thru October. It’s a major time commitment, which is why you should start thinking about and planning for it now. But most agree it’s by far the best program and best value out there. Last year the cost was somewhere around $450, which is absolutely incredible considering all that’s included. In addition to an LA County Advanced Diver certification, the curriculum also covers the requirements for the NAUI Master Diver and NAUI Rescue Diver (including CPR/ First Aid, and AED). There is an additional nominal cost to cover the NAUI C-cards.

It’s a lot of fun, and a major challenge (both physically and mentally), but you will see a huge increase in your knowledge, skills, and confidence. You’ll do and learn things you won't get in any other dive class out there. Last year we experienced a hyperbaric chamber ride to 165 ft., did underwater search and salvage, spent a day visiting the Long Beach Harbor Patrol to learn about search and recovery, did altitude lake diving and a camp-out at Castaic Lake, had a lecture on dive medicine at UC Santa Barbara, experienced diving with commercial dive gear (full face mask and communications), learned many challenging shore diving and skindiving skills at many SoCal sites, and much much more.

I took the course after I had over 50 dives, and IMO that’s probably a good guideline. In my experience the course assumes that you are very comfortable with your gear, are very well versed in what you learned in OW class, and have your dive routine down very well (hydration and preparation, gear assembly, safe ascents, etc.). I also would recommend that you have your own gear (it will make things a lot easier), and have your weighting dialed in pretty well. You’ll be doing a lot of diving and skindiving, and will need to be very comfortable with the whole process so that you can focus on learning new skills.

If you can make the commitment, I’d highly recommend it. Not only a great opportunity for some incredible dive training, but also a great opportunity to make new friends and dive buddies. Here’s the LA County ADP website:

http://www.lascuba.com/adp.html

It’s still showing info for last year’s class, but should give you a good idea on how this year’s class will be. BTW, I’m not affiliated with LA County Scuba, just someone who is incredibly jazzed about the course. I'm even planning on attending some of the classes again this year just because it was so cool.​

Last edited by mccabejc; January 25th, 2006 at 10:52 AM.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom