CDS Board Unanimously Approves Cave Diver Supervisor Program

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JoeyP

Registered
Reaction score
Translation = something the membership has wanted for years finally got done.

At a specially called public meeting the NSS-CDS Board of Directors unanimously approved a “Cave Supervisor” program which will allow experienced divers so certified (and insured) to guide (read mentor) newer, less experienced divers in caves. What this means is that at some point in the near future new divers or divers who have been away from the caves will be able to come to the CDS and find a buddy they will not only be safe with, but can learn from. This will not be a “cash cow” for anyone. It will be a free service that members of the CDS will provide for all cave divers in the hopes of furthering two of our stated missions, promoting cave safety and conservation.

Quite frankly I am extremely pleased with this. Those of you who know me also know that this is something I have been “hollering about” for years. NSS-CDS, NACD et al are not for profit organizations whose mission is to promote safety and conservation. Anyone who really participates in this sport knows that once certified “Full Cave” you have nothing more than a license to learn. Once fully implemented this new program will give you the opportunity to use that “license to learn” in a safe and controlled manor. It will be no longer necessary to post “buddy needed” on a forum and hope you get someone competent.

Until now I have not seen or heard of any organization that would even remotely endorse, never mind enact such a free program. I can even recall the notion of creating one viewed with hostility by some who might have viewed it as an “encroachment” upon their livelihood. Kudos to our training director, Jim Wyatt and his training committee consisting of Bill Dunn, John Jones, Paul Heinerth, Reggie Ross, Dan Patterson, Steve Forman and Jeff Loflin for presenting this program for board approval.

Since the CDS is an international organization this will also mean that divers on holiday anywhere in the world will have a standard by which they can judge a guide they might choose to hire. At the very least they will know what he (the guide) is supposed to be doing OR not doing. Hopefully the day will come when a standard question to ask a guide anywhere in the world will be “Are you an NSS-CDS certified Cave Dive Supervisor?

Respectfully,

Joe Citelli
Secretary, NSS-CDS

Last edited:
I had the privilege of being at the meeting. I am VERY happy with this and plan on becoming one of the first.

Is it that very experience Full Cave divers can mentor less experienced Full Cave divers?

Is it that very experience Full Cave divers can mentor less experienced Full Cave divers?

They can mentor anyone who needs it! Cavern through CCR Trimix DPV dives. However they'd at display high level skills and be certified in those areas.

Sorry, I forgot to add this. You posted mid-edit.

That's what I thought....but they can only mentor to the level of the lowest diver, right? Like, it still takes an instructor to do an Intro dive with a Cavern diver...right?

Thank you to the NSS-CDS and all who have poured their heart and soul into the CDS.
Your efforts are appreciated and your attitude infectious!
Kudos and hopefully the other agencies are watching!

CamG

Sorry, I forgot to add this. You posted mid-edit.

That's what I thought....but they can only mentor to the level of the lowest diver, right? Like, it still takes an instructor to do an Intro dive with a Cavern diver...right?

As far as I know, that is correct.

Like, it still takes an instructor to do an Intro dive with a Cavern diver...right?

That is correct.

JamesK, Jim, thanks for the clarifications. Now that I get it, I really like it. I'm glad what I said was correct, as I'm afraid the other option would've led to a lot of overconfidence.

[-]My only concern is this: Is there any way to guarantee quality of one of the mentors? We all know that C-cards aren't hard to get if you shop around for an easy instructor. Will there be incentives for Instructors to do it? Will there be some way of weeding out bad mentors?[/-]

Edit - Thinking about it further, I guess that the true fear of bad mentors is mitigated by the fact that both divers would be Cavern/Cave certified and diving within the limits of their certification.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom