Success and Failure of an MPA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
We finally got a chance to dive the pinnacles off Pt. Vicente this week. Designated as the Point Vicente State Marine Conservation Ares since January 1, 2012 the reefs are showing signs of making a comeback. Rockfish, sheephead and smaller reef fish have increased in numbers to the point that the reefs are beginning to represent what can be found in the Channel Islands. By the sheer number of garibaldi nests observed, Pt. Vicente may someday look like Catalina.Unfortunately, we had to inform another boatload of fisherman for the umpteenth time that the area is closed to all take. It is amazing how many people can get a fishing license, gear and bait without ever hearing about MPAs.
The reef off Pt. Vicente's Whale Rock is made up of monoliths rising twenty-five feet or more from the gravel bottom. Some of the pinnacles made me think of the opening scene in 2001, a Space Odyssey. Kelp covers most of the reef during the winter, but even during the summer the area still catches propellers. We had better than twenty feet visibility with toasty 54° temperatures.

PointVicente3_zpsf2f0b699.jpg

PointVicente17_zps748d6725.jpg

PointVicente18_zps6bf6b718.jpg

PointVicente20_zpsc6c86184.jpg

PointVicente21_zpsae612b48.jpg

PointVicente22_zps4ddb9d13.jpg

PointVicente29_zps20c7f568.jpg

PointVicente28_zps51be640c.jpg

PointVicente27_zps9bc21c7f.jpg

PointVicente26_zpsc7e11e72.jpg

PointVicente25_zps0be4e2da.jpg

PointVicente23_zpsca957b23.jpg

PointVicente16_zps62529e70.jpg

PointVicente15_zps7cf6c2d9.jpg

PointVicente14_zps84a9b9b4.jpg

PointVicente13_zps3afd5391.jpg

PointVicente9_zpse10b423a.jpg

PointVicente7_zps09e5114a.jpg

PointVicente6_zps17eae163.jpg

PointVicente5_zps7e850990.jpg

My shutter finger was itching for some macro, so we headed for the Redondo Barge. Green dirty water clouded the downline to forty feet before opening up to decent vis on the bottom. Marine life seemed somewhat sparse, so I cut my dive short after forty minutes.

RedondoBarge8_zps12a0617b.jpg

RedondoBarge7_zps6525b57e.jpg

RedondoBarge6_zpsc3d6d124.jpg

RedondoBarge1_zpscaf27f49.jpg

RedondoBarge5_zps4a3e1e5b.jpg

Very interesting looking site. What were your max and avg depths on the site?

52 feet depth with 25 feet at the top of the pinnacles. There are larger pinnacles beginning in 80 feet. Because the site is shallow and off a point, currents are usually very strong here. Yesterday was the first time in nearly four years that I've been able to dive there. On my favorite dive at Pt. Vicente, a large thresher shark cruised over the reef just a few feet away from me. It was one of the most beautiful animals I've seen under water.

I think it's picture #6 (the kelp) that gave me goosebumps. I'd love to frame that.

The picture of the kelp is cool, but my favorite is #1. Its ominous and beautiful at the same time. I love the upward facing kelp shots.

This is the kind of nonsense that still goes on. These guys posted this video claiming that they were at Smuggler's Cove, but anyone who knows Palos Verdes can see that this is in the middle of the Point Vicente State Marine Conservation Area. I sent the link to DFG. Hopefully something will be done.

Max, that link isn't working for me. What does it show?

Bill

The thing it shows to me is that they are not native English speakers, and they are cocking their bands in an inflatable boat.

In my experience, foreign nationals have little regard for game laws in another country, and anyone who cocks their guns in the boat deserve what they get.

Max, that link isn't working for me. What does it show?

Bill

You can also click this LINK.

I am not sure of the details here, but to their defense the video does not show any fish taking...just one of them entering the water with a loaded spear gun pointed all over their inflatable boat (here is an extra vote for a Darwin award). Either way I do not think they knew what they were doing...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom