One day to dive on Kaua'i...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buckyblue920

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My family and I are returning to Kaua'i in February 2014. We're staying in Princeville, and I have one "open" day for diving that doesn't conflict with inter-island travel and a family planned activity. I know the north shore is out of the question for diving, meaning I'll take the rental car and head southward for any winter diving. I checked in with the T.A. forum, and got a mix bag of reviews leaving me to wonder if the diving is practical during winter on Kaua'i. I've been referred to every other island but Kaua'i.....but I love this island and this is where we'll be for the duration of vacation.

(1) Is diving Kaua'i in February worth it?

(2) Boat dive or shore dive?

(3) Any recommendations?

Thanks for the advice and tips!

Talk to the folks at Fathom Five. Your choices are boat dives out of the Poipu area or shore dives at Koloa Landing. They offer both, so they can suggest what will be best for you.

I recommend Seasport. Ask for Tony, he is a board member and will help you. I have not been they're in the winter to know what's going on with the dive scene.

I have used SeaSport and had a great experience.

If you dive with SeaSport or Fathom Five you will have a great time in February.

January and February is the best time to hear and see Humpback Whales. I had 2 different encounters seeing Humpback Whales during my boat dives last winter. It is almost guaranteed to hear them sing while on your dives. February also a good time for calmer south shore conditions which can provide clean water and lots of aquatic life. Water temps are around 73 degrees.. so at least a 5mm will keep you happy. Boat dives can provide you a better chance to see whales while traveling to dive sites and maybe even underwater. Like Fisheater said, all our diving will be on the south shore area. While staying in Princeville, you will be able to see the Humpbacks traveling around the North Shore and could see surfers on big waves.

Hope this has helped a little, let us know what other questions you may have.

Done and done, I'm sold. I don't know why I hesitated, but I will look over both recommendations and be making a reservation inquiry. Thank you everyone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom