SMS 100 & Twinset

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dam0

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I love my SMS100, obviously I dive in SM configuration all the time with it. However, after a recent to Scapa Flow I'd like to investigate altering the configuration to back mounted twins. I think you can imagine why.

There is a video on YouTube (Using a Twin Set with your Hollis SMS100 Sidemount BCD - Tech Dive Academy - YouTube) which shows it can be done, however I can find little other information on this configuration.

It seems easy to do, maybe even include a backplate for a little more rigidity.

What is the view on this, does Hollis discourage using the sms 100 in this way? Is there a recommended way to do this?

Many thanks

Well, the Hollis website says:
Hollis Gear Website:
Suitable for sidemounting twin or single cylinders, but also for use with rebreathers or rear mounted singles

This makes me think they don't officially support doubles. However, they have a youtube video showing how to dive a twinset as well. I'm thinking they DO support it.

Regardless, there are a lot of divers simply mounting doubles to the SMS100 like they would a normal BPW and diving it with great success. I have an allu backplate in case I ever get the chance to dive doubles and determine I need more stability.

I mount mine with doubles (just the wing) and its actually a hell of a lot better than using the Apex I used to use, the doughnut shape is great and it only take a few frusterating minutes to take off the 100.
no reason you can't use the harness but be careful not to ruin the nice ass plate. Personally I use that with a stainless backplace and x-deep wing, easy to interchange, the 100 offers a bit too much for single back mount but is great at depth on twins.

in disagreement with the comment in other threads regarding the sms100 as a jack of all trades. It offers great sidemounting option and the wing is perfect for doubles, for me you can kill two birds with one stone

I love my SMS100, obviously I dive in SM configuration all the time with it. However, after a recent to Scapa Flow I'd like to investigate altering the configuration to back mounted twins. I think you can imagine why.

There is a video on YouTube (Using a Twin Set with your Hollis SMS100 Sidemount BCD - Tech Dive Academy - YouTube) which shows it can be done, however I can find little other information on this configuration.

It seems easy to do, maybe even include a backplate for a little more rigidity.

What is the view on this, does Hollis discourage using the sms 100 in this way? Is there a recommended way to do this?

Many thanks

Hi Dam0,

Using the SMS100 with rear mounted doubles is not discouraged, it was just not designed for it. Take a set of stabilizer brackets (PN 208.1034) and mount these onto the front of the harness once the band bolts feed through. Backplate is not necessary for this configuration.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Excellent thanks all.

My dive buddies and I tried back mount doubles on a sms100 yesterday and it went really well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom