I Been Bit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saying

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Last week I was down in FL for a Cavern course and the bug got me in an awful way. I've got to get my head deeper into those holes.

At the end of the week I was flattered to hear my instructor say, "I'm not trying to pressure you, but you really should consider taking the Intro to Cave course in the Fall." This is a guy who had spoken out at great length against teaching a back-to-back Cavern/Intro course so this was flattering in that he felt I might be ready so soon and, as I trust his judgement, I'm all sorts of amped to do it.

Now what I'm wondering is: is this well-advised? At best I might get down to FL once between now and then; indeed it is unlikely that I'll have any overhead experience to beef up my experience before it's time for the Intro course. Will this kill me or are the skills taught in Cavern just as easily practiced and maintained in open water?

You can practice your cavern skills in ow. Any practice is good. I would try to get get back to cave country at least twice before coming back to do an intro cave course. But in the end its all up to you and if you feel that you are ready to move on and if you are comfortable with your skills.

I was approached by a party animal guy, who I met in the Summer of 88, who says he is very comfortable in holes and caves. He indicated his desire to sign up too, even if it means shaving off his beard which he grew last year.

What do you think? See pic.

Aquamore

Wendy:
You can practice your cavern skills in ow. Any practice is good. I would try to get get back to cave country at least twice before coming back to do an intro cave course. But in the end its all up to you and if you feel that you are ready to move on and if you are comfortable with your skills.
I agree with Wendy here. I actually had a guy throw large pieces of foam into his pool to similate overhead. He was a bit eccentric. Anyway it must of worked becuase he skills for running reels were pretty good as was his trim.
Work in a pool (less the foam unless you want it), work at the lake, the quarry, the ocean. work with your eyes closed work with them open. Have fun

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom