Oceanic Geo Old vs version 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tremendo

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys, new here. Been PADI certified for years, dive now and then. I used a Geo last week and enjoyed it, so I bought one. I ordered an "old Style Geo", as I loved the blue look, but today received the Geo 2. I prefer the look of the old style, don't plan on using nitrox, and mostly will use the watch for free diving. Will the Geo 2 do everything the Geo would do for free diving? Thoughts on if I should return it, or is the new one much better? thanks! Tom

Well I've learned a bit about it now, watched the Geo instructional video and played with it at 10' to learn the functions. It does what it's supposed to, I like the automatically going into free dive mode without touching it when hitting 5' or deeper. I wish it would start counting when it breaks into water, instead of waiting for 5' and 5 seconds. I'll mostly use it for snorkel diving down and the occasional scuba.

The grey watch is growing on me, I'm guessing they upgraded it for some functionality as well. I am surprised that the video does not cover anything about free diving, and the manual is pretty basic. But it looks like a keeper.

I have 2 of the "old" style. Not sure about the color difference - both came in a variety of colors. Both do Nitrox.

There were reports of the "old" style failing or eating batteries, but that has not been my experience.

So they are still selling the "old style" but giving the new eh? That's how I got my Geo 2 as well, but I knew ahead of time that it was going to happen. It's a pretty good discount, so enjoy the deal!

I bought mine a year ago and still haven't had to change the batteries. I never turn it off and use it as a watch quite often. I take extra batteries with me on dives, just in case, and have a backup computer in my console.

Make sure to register the warranty with Oceanic so you get the free online class, which is VERY helpful. The GEO 2 menuing system is a bit intimidating at first, especially if this is your first dive computer and you aren't familiar with what to expect.

Well I noticed I was losing about 3 1/2 minutes a day. I called Oceanic today and they said there was a bad firmware installed in some of the watches and that was happening, so I need to send it in (on my tab) and they'll update it and send it back. The watch is less than 2 weeks old. That kind of sucks for a brand new watch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom