Ca Shark Fin Ban Now in Full Effect!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Power Scuba

Supreme Benchwarmer
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Ca Shark Fin Ban finally took full effect this month!

AB 376 bans sales, trade, distribution and possession of shark fins in our great state of California! Dept. of Fish and Wildlife will be doing the enforcement aspect of it.

If you think you see a violation, report it to DFW's confidential tip line at 1-888-DFG-CALTIP.

Now California moves into the enforcement aspect of the ban. If you see or suspect a restaurant or store of transacting in shark fin, call that tip line immediately. Video and a sample of the suspected fin would be most helpful.

Bill

"(d) Any person who holds a license or permit issued by the department to take or land sharks for recreational or commercial purposes may possess a shark fin or fins consistent with that license or permit."
-- so basically, you can still commercially fish sharks, but their fins are now wasted by-catch because they can't be sold by commercial fishermen's customers?

I really loathe shark finning, but this isn't a particularly well written law.

"(d) Any person who holds a license or permit issued by the department to take or land sharks for recreational or commercial purposes may possess a shark fin or fins consistent with that license or permit."
-- so basically, you can still commercially fish sharks, but their fins are now wasted by-catch because they can't be sold by commercial fishermen's customers?

I really loathe shark finning, but this isn't a particularly well written law.

My sentimnts are with you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom