Award-winning MV Spree live-aboard expands to Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverWire

Contributor
Reaction score
(DiverWire) The award-winning M/V Spree live-aboard dive vessel has announced it is now taking charter bookings to the Bahamas.  With this expansion and a new international load line designation, the M/V Spree now offers charters from Florida to the Bahamas, as well as cost-effective charters with a Bahamas-only departure and return.  Charters are being accepted for fall and winter 2013 and 2014 trips. According to Boat Captain and Owner Frank Wasson, "We are pleased to have received this new designation which allows the MV Spree to expand its destinations and options for scuba diving groups and travelers. There are a number of new areas which we are looking forward to exploring." Wasson outlined some of the new International Charte...
Keep reading: Award-winning MV Spree live-aboard expands to Bahamas on Diverwire.com

More...

Very interesting. I'd like to hit the Bahamas someday, and up until now, I considered 2 main well-known 7 day live-aboard options; Blackbeards for around $1,000 (often billed as camping at sea) or AquaCat for around $2,400 (more upscale, and more pricy). FDog posted an AquaCat review on the forum. I believe those both depart from & return to the Bahamas?

If I understand correctly, the Spree will have 3 types of trip:

1.) Northern Bahamas - hits Tiger Beach & some other areas, so I'm guessing more shark action? Maybe big sharks? Leaves from & returns to Florida. Max. 12 passengers + 2 'expedition leaders.' What are expedition leaders? Customers who organize the trip, or Spree crew?

2.) Southern Bahamas - kind like the northern in terms of max. capacity & operates out of Florida..

3.) Bahamas not-other-wise specified - this trip departs from & returns to the Bahamas, not Florida.

So far, all charter, no open booking, $6,000/diving day. Varied charter length, though; not all 7 days only.

So, for a northern or southern 7 day trip, how many days are diving, as opposed to transit time? For sake of argument, let's say 5 days? That's $30,000 to divy up amongst the passengers, and if there are only 12, that's going to run some money. If 14, that's a tad better. Then again, the charter organizer might want to make some money.

I looking at the new Spree itineraries with an eye to where they're going to fit into the market compared to Blackbeards and AquaCat.

Will be interested to learn more. If all charter maybe the Cat Ppalu would be the main competitor?

Richard.

That price point is too high when it includes significant transit time, for the Spree. The charter groups are very selective (well over that of open bookers); I think that at that price point only going to ~virgin areas in the southern islands would draw customers.

You're comparing apples to oranges. Looking at charter rates for any other US flagged liveaboard leaving from the United States, we're far less. Looking at any liveaboard departing from Bahamas (except Blackbeards), we're far less. The $6,000 per day rate is for dive days, not transit days.

Bahamas departures from FLL/MIA

Last edited:
Makes sense. And how many diver spots does the spree have to divide that rate with?

Makes sense. And how many diver spots does the spree have to divide that rate with?

12 for US departures, 22 for Bahamas departures.

The $6,000 per day rate is for dive days, not transit days.

So, for a 7 day Bahamas itinerary departing from & returning to Florida, how many of those days are dive days?

I'm trying to get a sense of how many dive days, and how many dives, are had for how much money.

I know there's more to a live-aboard trip than that (otherwise there'd be no AquaCat, just Blackbeards), but it's a place to start for comparisons.

I recently priced airfare to the Bahamas out of curiosity and it was cheaper than I expected (then again, I'm more used to rates to fly Delta to Bonaire).

Richard.

Day 1 is departure day, 5 diving days, day 7 is return and clear customs day. What most liveaboards would call a 7 day trip I call a 5 day trip, because it's 5 diving days. Each day is 5 dives, including the night dive except the first day, when we have to check in to customs, and the last day, when we clear out, unless we can clear both ways at the same time. It happens, but it can't be counted on.

These trips are designed for the diver who wants to bring his/her rebreather and a ton of camera gear. Single tank recreational divers will find the trip expensive, although it's the only way to do Cay Sal or Medio reef.

The $6,000 per day rate is for dive days, not transit days.

Can I pay in Girl Scout Cookies?

37461_thinmints.jpg

Good luck to you, Frank; I'm sure that you will offer a great diving experience. I just foresee a limited clientele...

Back
Top Bottom