Side Mount for DECO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

manni-yunk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I typically carry an AL80 of 50% and an AL40 of o2 in the traditional manner (nose clipped to left chest D ring and bottom clipped to waist D ring).

Im playing with the idea of side mounting my Deco tanks - and NOT getting rid of my back mount main gas supply.

That being said - Ive dove with a few guys that do this recently, including a few that are 100% side mount for all gas. I am leaning towards the DR tech butt plate and their ring/bungee system (I think it is labeled as nomad bungees).

Finally - my question. My Deco tanks are rigged with 40" hoses. Will that likely be long enough if I make this switch since the tanks will be sitting a little further back? Do you guys use the same 6" HP hose for the SPG - or do you typically modify that somehow. Mine is currently bent up and tied tightly at the reg for easy viewing.

Before anyone starts screaming that I need to practice - I am not dumb. Anything I do will be a slow transition that involves lots of practice including gas switching and bottle rotation until Im completely comfortable - Im just trying to think through any gear config changes before I try this.

I dive with several people who have attached the side mount butt plate to the bottom of their doubles set up/re breather set up and seem to really like it. As for hose length, I have not got a clue.
Eric

You will end up at least wanting to try out routing the SPGs down on those 6" hoses.

You will probably find that you can even go with shorter hoses than a deco bottle.

How do you currently route the hose from the first stage of the deco bottles?

You will end up at least wanting to try out routing the SPGs down on those 6" hoses.

You will probably find that you can even go with shorter hoses than a deco bottle.

How do you currently route the hose from the first stage of the deco bottles?

OK

- Whats the advantage of routing the SPG down on side mount vs how I do it now?

I currently route the hose around my head. I deploy the hose from its straps - then route it from the left side,and around my head.

Here's what I found when using a 'sidemounted' deco bottle: lollipopping the SPGs means the tank has to be in a certain place (for me). If using the Nomad ring bungie, not lollipopping means the tank can be behind me or next to me.

What I meant is terms of routing is in sidemount the hose goes (sometimes) from the first stage behind the shoulder, and then behind the neck. Deco regs (usually) go from the first stage in front of the shoulder, and then behind the neck.

An increasing number of CCR divers are now 'sidemounting' (bungee) their bail-outs. No reason why the open-circuit/back-mount technical diver couldn't adopt those same principles with regards to deco bottles.

It might add some complexity (minor) if the plan is to stage/retrieve those bottles - where traditional stage mounting is probably a quicker option (given equal practice and experience between methods).

My Deco tanks are rigged with 40" hoses. Will that likely be long enough if I make this switch since the tanks will be sitting a little further back?

I use a 40" hose for my primary left-side sidemount tank and for left-side deco cylinders when sidemount diving. They're plenty long enough (and I'm quite thick-chested/necked) and that includes 'round-the-neck' deployment.

Whats the advantage of routing the SPG down on side mount vs how I do it now?

It'll potentially reduce entanglement hazard - especially when running guidelines or popping bags.

An increasing number of CCR divers are now 'sidemounting' (bungee) their bail-outs. No reason why the open-circuit/back-mount technical diver couldn't adopt those same principles with regards to deco bottles.

It might add some complexity (minor) if the plan is to stage/retrieve those bottles - where traditional stage mounting is probably a quicker option (given equal practice and experience between methods).

I use a 40" hose for my primary left-side sidemount tank and for left-side deco cylinders when sidemount diving. They're plenty long enough (and I'm quite thick-chested/necked) and that includes 'round-the-neck' deployment.

It'll potentially reduce entanglement hazard - especially when running guidelines or popping bags.

Agreed on all points.

I dont leave my tanks (stage) anywhere. Locally - with the threat of unpredicatable currents on wrecks - I carry everything the entire dive.....in case Im blown off the wreck after incurring a large deco obigation.

Ill try cutting off my lolipop ties and see how the SPG sits.

---------- Post added July 13th, 2013 at 08:23 AM ----------

Here's what I found when using a 'sidemounted' deco bottle: lollipopping the SPGs means the tank has to be in a certain place (for me). If using the Nomad ring bungie, not lollipopping means the tank can be behind me or next to me.

What I meant is terms of routing is in sidemount the hose goes (sometimes) from the first stage behind the shoulder, and then behind the neck. Deco regs (usually) go from the first stage in front of the shoulder, and then behind the neck.

Thank You

Back
Top Bottom