I found a Giant Sea Bass and the Man in the Little Boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
After using up a lot of precious fuel last week to go to Catalina in search of Giant Sea Bass I wanted to stay close to Redondo Beach today. I motored to the stern of the Avalon wreck to work on Rubberlip seaperch photos. As I was looking around, a three and one half foot GSB casually swam toward me, then into a hideout under the wreck. I got off a few shots before it slowly made its way to a better hidey hole.

PalosVerdes8_zpsdffdf37c.jpg

PalosVerdes9_zpsc33cf79b.jpg

PalosVerdes2_zpse64a522a.jpg

PalosVerdes13_zpsc9389453.jpg

PalosVerdes14_zps42d64381.jpg

PalosVerdes17_zps63bc24fa.jpg

PalosVerdes18_zpsbd71a8e8.jpg

PalosVerdes16_zps4c6fa5d1.jpg

Keeping with the Crane Theme, we moved over to Haggerty's and anchored. Soon afterward Scott Webb called to tell us that there were jellies over the barge. Merry's face lit up, so we pulled anchor and made our way back to Redondo Beach.
The usual critters were found, as well as several dozen pyrosomes, some of which had become meals on the wreck. Near the end of the dive I came upon a new addition to the artificial wreck. I was shooting macro, so I'll have to go back tomorrow with a wide angle lens to truly capture the magnificence of the little concrete boat.

PalosVerdes29_zps30989211.jpg

PalosVerdes33_zps0360d921.jpg

PalosVerdes32_zpsd00715b7.jpg

PalosVerdes27_zpsd4813539.jpg

PalosVerdes25_zps6a3c89a7.jpg

PalosVerdes20_zpsa5a03689.jpg

PalosVerdes21_zps4878f2c3.jpg

PalosVerdes22_zps8eac6aa6.jpg

The man in the the little boat eh? :eyebrow: Fantastic series! Making my oh-so dry gills ache with envy. Really dig the Perch wide angle shot and the Simnia with barnacle capture. Things up here in Theodore Roosevelt National Park are moving along well. Working with a great group of Rangers and really having a great time in nowhere's-ville.

Just ordered a Sigma 70mm macro "105mm equivalent on cropped sensor" and an 8mm Rokinon fisheye. Next will be an Ikelite housing and ports. Got to prep for the coming return to So Cal and Charlie & I's Bonaire getaway. Were thinking of venturing there in late spring / early summer 2014. You and Merry interested in coming along?

Here's an average encounter for us Rangers in Theodore:
http://s260.photobucket.com/user/FrankPro666/media/video-2013-07-07-12-35-07.mp4.html

Great shots, and I'm sure your SO is pleased with your new discovery.... :)

Love the "French Tickler..." er, I mean Pyrosoma

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom