Equipment advice: mask, snorkel, fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ALI_101

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I'm looking to buy a snorkelling set (or individual items if neccessary) for an upcomming holiday to Cyprus. I love my snorkelling but to date i've been using cheap rubbish that i've picked up when abroad which i know is handicapping my experience. I'm looking to change that with the aim of improving my snorkelling experience and to get a bit more out of it.

My budget is 70,00 euros (approx $90). Its not a lot i know but having looked around the web it seems i should be able to get something of reasonable quality for this money. I have picked a few sets out but having no experience of brands and what to look out for in terms of quality etc, i'm a little clueless as to where the better value is and what the better quality sets/items are.

All of my snorkelling will be done from the shore, not from a boat. Living where i live (Poland), i dont have the option of try before i buy, i have to order online and take my chances that the the fins/mask will be a good fit.

A few sets i'm considering are (sorry most links are in Polish):

Zestaw Avanti Super Channel DECATHLON - Pletwy i zestawy Pletwy i zestawy -...
This is a Mares set which i believe is a good manufacturer? I have found plenty of info on these fins, but nothing on the mask or snorkel thats in the set so unsure if they are of good quality. Not knowing snorkelling equipment i really cant tell just from the photo's alone.

U.S.Divers Snorkelling Travel Package: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors
Any opinions on U.S. Divers equipment, good/bad quality? Also, what about the short fins, i'm intreagued by them and wonder if they might be better suited to snorkelling from the shore than full legnth fins. In addition, i have never worn fins before so i'm wondering if i might find them a bit easier to use than full legnth fins. Any info would be appreciated.

Zestaw TUSA IMPREX maska fajka p?etwy ff19+antyfog (3335426861) - Allegro.pl - Wi?cej ni? aukcje. Najlepsze oferty na najwi?kszej platformie handlowej.
ZESTAW TUSA IMPREX MASKA FAJKA + P?ETWY RF14 (3369815166) - Allegro.pl - Wi?cej ni? aukcje. Najlepsze oferty na najwi?kszej platformie handlowej.
Again, the option of full fins or short fins.

Some individual items:
P?etwy Palau SAF CRESSI - Pletwy i zestawy Pletwy i zestawy - Decathlon
Desert Dry CRESSI - Maski i fajki do nurkowania Maski i fajki do nurkowania...
Maska Maxlux Beuchat BEUCHAT - Maski i fajki do nurkowania Maski i fajki do...
Maska nurkowa Matrix CRESSI - Maski i fajki do nurkowania Maski i fajki do...

These are the sort of sets/items i'm considering, what do you think of this equipment? Is it of there any one set or individual items that stands out over the others that you might recommend?

If anyone has any other suggestions in this sort of price range i'd appreciate the pointers.

Last edited:
Fins and snorkel are pretty easy to buy without trying them on (though I suggest trying on the fins, especially if you are using booties). The mask, however, should be tried on in person. Find a dive shop and go in and try on as many masks as it takes. A well fitting mask will markedly improve your snorkel experience!

^ Agreed. I wouldn't suggest buying anything without dry fitting but thats just me. I know you said you cant try before you buy, why is that? No dive shops? Finding the right mask is like finding the holy grail. I LOVE mine and its a cheap body glove one. Maybe was $50? It fogs still after 3 years BUT it fits soooo well I don't even feel like I am wearing a mask... I go through lots of reef safe defog lol.

Are you snorkeling in the ocean or a lake? There are two different types of lens colors are rose and yellow lens. Depending on where you are snorkeling, ocean or freshwater, will depend on the mask that you should get. If you want to see well, you may want to buy you mask separate from a combo.

Ocean water is naturally aqua blue. The deeper you dive, the more of the blue color you can see. Because the blue water washes the color out of everything, it can be hard to really grasp the beauty around you. If you get mask that is rose colored, the rose color filters out the blue allowing you to see better.
Yellow lens masks, on the other hand, are usually ideal for lake water. Because lakes are freshwater based, it is usually filled with white glaze that can disrupt seeing everything clearly. In order to see sharper images, the yellow lens filters out the white glaze to restore seeing the lake’s natural surroundings.

For fins, finding the right fit is the most important thing. You don’t want the thing falling off mid-swim. Also, get a J purge snorkel, makes life so much easier.
Good luck on your trip to Cypress, I hope to see some of your pictures over in the Underwater Photography section :)

Are you snorkeling in the ocean or a lake? There are two different types of lens colors are rose and yellow lens. Depending on where you are snorkeling, ocean or freshwater, will depend on the mask that you should get. ...

Ocean water is naturally aqua blue. The deeper you dive, the more of the blue color you can see. Because the blue water washes the color out of everything, it can be hard to really grasp the beauty around you. If you get mask that is rose colored, the rose color filters out the blue allowing you to see better.
Yellow lens masks, on the other hand, are usually ideal for lake water. Because lakes are freshwater based, it is usually filled with white glaze that can disrupt seeing everything clearly. In order to see sharper images, the yellow lens filters out the white glaze to restore seeing the lake’s natural surroundings.

I'm unfamiliar with that interpretation of underwater visibility. Could you provide some reference(s) to support these statements?

Back
Top Bottom