San Diego for one day...7/26 Need a place to dive!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NLimpel

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am from Wisconsin. Typically diving 40 degree water on the great lakes, and under the ice in the winter time. I will have one day that I can dive on a short trip to San Diego....and I would like to find something different and awsome to see. I have over 500 cold water dives, and have done dive trips to Cozumel, Florida Keys, and Ft. Lauderdale in FL. Have tons of gear...and hold a Padi Rescue diver card (also Nitrox)

My only day to dive will be Friday July 26. Would be interested in a Kelp dive, but not against a wreck dive either.

Few questions....where/who do i go with? What kind of gear should i bring? Drysuit? 7mm? 3mm? What should i expect for water temps? Drift dives? Thanks for you help....it is extremely appreciated. If anyone would like to meet up and buddy up for a day of diving...let me know!

Pt. Loma kelp beds on a good day is a spectacular dive because it is so unusual and the kelp beds are kind of magical (ditto Catalina Island if time permits), but you will need a boat to take you. Other local dive spots are shore dives: Marine Room, Childrens Pool, La Jolla Shores.

Visibility can be limited, though, which may have an effect on the overall dive experience in San Diego. Water temp can vary, but believe it is customary (at least mine) to dive with 7mm full wetsuit, hood, booties, gloves.

Hope this helps. San Diego is a great place to visit.

I'll join in with a ditto on La Jolla Cove. Easy nice dive in the California Kelp. Just get there early.

Thanks for the help guys! I reserved a spot with Lois Ann.... going for a 3 tank wreck dive. .... and hopefully I can talk the others on the boat to do the 3rd dive in kelp! Can hardly wait. .. super excited!

Water temp can vary, but believe it is customary (at least mine) to dive with 7mm full wetsuit, hood, booties, gloves.

This weekend at the Cove I was registering surface temps of 69 but when I got to 30ft I registered 57. My computer might not be entirely accurate but regardless everybody agreed it was cold at depth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom