Curacao dive sites not to miss

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

choiahoy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey S Board,

My wife and I have four days in Curacao before jumping over to Bonaire.

I've been looking over some threads to best plan out our dives for our short stay there. We are definitely planning on diving at Cas Abou and Porto Marie as they're very close to where we're staying. But GoWest Diving just informed me that they (and Playa Kalki) will be closed From September 21-28 for an exclusive group, so no Watamula and no Playa Kalki for us, both of which we were very much looking forward to.

Any thoughts on some more great sites to hit in their place? Thanks in advance.

Watamula is a boat dive and I don't know if any ops other than Go West do it as it would be a long haul for them. But AFAIK Playa Kalki is a public beach, even though it's used mostly by guests at Kura Hulanda. So while you may not be able to use the pier at Go West and get tanks there, I don't think they can tell you Playa Kalki is closed.

There is something slightly different about Curacao beaches since many operators can/do charge a small beach usage fee. At Lagun, the operator asked me for one since I was inadvertently sitting in one of his chairs. When I moved to the public picnic tables, he went away.

So maybe Lodge Kura Hulanda can close Playa Kalki?

What I would do is call Rancho El Sobrino and see what they say about it, their guests also use that beach.

Both Playa's Lagun and Jeremi are good dives. Slightly west of Porto Mari. Get tanks at Discover Diving in Lagun for both - there's no facilities at Jeremi. You might see turtles off Lagun. Both are beach dives off coves so swim out to the reef on the surface first. During your SI, the rocks to the right at Jeremi are listed on Frommer's as one of the 10 best snorkels in the Caribbean.

A little farther east Varsenbaai is kind of a mixed dive. Head east and there's a flat pontoon boat used to move some of the cars for the Carpile site perched off the reef at 80'. Seahorses are possible at 40' near the ball off the beach - ask TrunkDivers on-site. Coming back in along the left side of the beach watch for turtles popping up in about 6' of water. It's a boring sandy bottom but they eat the grass there. The operator said they've always been there.

Check with TrunkDivers - or call first. I'd almost bet they go to Watamula - maybe as a guided shore dive. You have to know where to enter/exit as it's off a high cliff area. And I've heard it's a pretty good leap/climb out.

I don't think many/any of the other operators dive Watamula. Just on the off-chance you might check with Caribbean Sea Sports at the Marriott. The way it was explained to me one is that the "bulge" mid-island is sort of the line past which the eastern operators don't go - because of gas and time since many need their boat back for a 1pm dive. Or Diveversity, they were planning to re-open the shop at Coral Estates last fall. If they did, that would be a fairly close run for them - when it was Habitat, they'd go up there afaik.

If you did want to make a trip south, Tugboat is a decent dive. The boat itself is small and shallow (15') but there's also the pier and the wall around the south point was excellent for eels. The dive school there closed so bring tanks. The boat itself is off one of the pilings to the left - at one time there was a ball. Or watch for the 9AM snorkel excursion from the cruise line - they'll drop 100 snorkelers on it. At least they did the day we were there. If a ship is working in the area you can't dive the pier. The wall kind of starts out as a plateau then gets deeper. Can be a lot of current there at times, none the day we dove it.

Last edited:
The watumalu dive Trunkdivers offer is a shore dive of the cliffs where the blow hole watumula is located. This is NOT where the reef watumula is located.

The reef of watamula can not be reached without a boat or you must be in for a really longggggg swim.

The dive of the cliff is not a reef dive. It's the 15ft jump of the cliff, one small swim through, one blow hole and a rough exit that make the dive.

Thanks for all the info! Can't wait to get in the water.

Back
Top Bottom