Fii Level 2 Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
During my Fii level 2 course, I found myself wondering how such a high level of quality/value was even possible to get at any price; it was that good.

I’ve been diving for more than 30 years. I was Fii level 1 trained 3 years ago. Before that course I was regularly diving to 20 meters (66 feet). It’s common knowledge that 2 atmospheres is the target depth for Level 1. So why did I take it?

I have an idea of the diver that I want to be; educated, serious, capable, and safe. The level 1 changed me as a diver in those ways which were important to me. Now it has happened again but this new information I have from Level 2 is completely transformative.

I feel the way a person who couldn’t read must feel once they have learned. The doors that have been opened up are many and will keep me occupied and enthusiastic for a long time. I have fodder for years of personal development now.

Before the course I had decent bottom times. Although my dive times vary, a two minute dive (in nice warm conditions at about 60’) is not uncommon for me and going out to 2:30 is also not problematic. I think that I will extend out to 3:00 and beyond soon directly due to the training I received in the Fii level 2 course. I expect that to occur at significantly greater depths. It is an amazing educational experience.

The instructors are so great. In the water you’ve got this support team all around you. They are instructing and tweaking both on the surface and at depth. Within an amazingly short number of dives I was changed as a diver forever. Subsequent dive days cement the experience so that you are changed mentally and physically; you dive like the diver you hoped you’d become.

I think this course is especially valuable for the very experienced diver. If you are already capable of 100+ feet as I was going into the class, then this is the class for you. Doing it and doing it right are very different. The experienced diver will enjoy unlearning and learning at the same time. We also had some guys in the class who were relatively inexperienced. I got to know them well and we all felt like the value we received from this instruction was very high.

Go into this class with an open mind and without the need to stick to your own current understanding. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t challenge instructors; I did frequently and my questions were answered in unexpected ways. I would have thought I might have heard a dogmatic answer from time to time; I considered that the safety stance of Fii would be promoted and “that would be that”. There was no promotion; just the facts as science and medicine currently understand them. The curriculum, including the safety aspects are solidly grounded in well understood foundations of physiology.

I’ve been complaining about the safety sensibilities of some of my buddies and they’ve been complaining about mine a bit too. The level 2 class has re-established those sensibilities in me. I won’t be coming up 50 feet away after a two minute dive in murky water anymore. There’s nothing to be embarrassed about for me or my buddies. I’m just more of the diver I wanted to be now and he follows Fii safety protocols.

Take this class. Like me you’ll find out surprising things. Did you know for instance that the ok symbol you give your buddy at the surface isn’t just an ok signal?; it’s a check for motor control and I’ll be getting and receiving them on every dive from now on, including in "shallow" water.

Thank you to Rob, and Mark and Joe and Martin. What an amazing experience.

Back
Top Bottom