Information on getting a plus rating for old steel 72's in SoCal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

asymmetries

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Greetings,

I have two of those old steel 72s that are due for hydro. They were manufactured by Norris. I have been calling many places about getting these plus rated with no luck. Many places here require that the REE be stamped directly on the cylinder. I have the published information as well as hydrostatic test out put of others (the published REE is much more conservative), but no one I have talked to will accept this despite that it is permitted.

So does anybody know a competent knowledgeable hydrostatic tester that will be able to plus rate my tanks? (assuming they qualify, but I have no doubt that they will qualify.)

Thanks,

Eric

Have you tried fire extinguisher test places or commercial.gas suppliers? Like those that sell welding supplies. I'd check dive shops as a last resort for hydro's unless you know them well and know they are knowledgeable.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I have not started calling them yet. The PHMSA hydrostatic testing page does not include phone numbers.

I thought I would seek guidance from the collective wisdom of ScubaBoard before I started calling all the hydrostatic testers in the greater Los Angeles area. See if I could get a lead first.

A tech diver buddy swears by Fred at Pac Wild in San Pedro. Try talking to them

Bummer.... I've got a couple LP tanks that are due for hydro soon. I was going to take them to PacWild but really would like to get them + rated. I'd love to hear the results of your search so I can figure out where to send mine.

Greetings,

I have two of those old steel 72s that are due for hydro. They were manufactured by Norris. I have been calling many places about getting these plus rated with no luck. Many places here require that the REE be stamped directly on the cylinder. I have the published information as well as hydrostatic test out put of others (the published REE is much more conservative), but no one I have talked to will accept this despite that it is permitted.

So does anybody know a competent knowledgeable hydrostatic tester that will be able to plus rate my tanks? (assuming they qualify, but I have no doubt that they will qualify.)

Thanks,

Eric

Not sure how true but I was told once that the plus rating is only good for the first hydro and hard to get after that.

Not true.

Try AquaLab down in Garden Grove (714/897-2822). They've done steel "+" testing for us in the past.

- Ken

I have emailed them, I am waiting to hear back with a response. Maybe calling them would be better...:acclaim: Thanks for letting me know. Edit: Just heard back, they do plus rating, but only for tanks that are stamped with the REE numbers.

@stevensamler: It is true that it is very difficult to get a (+) rating. Many places do not like the extra albeit small work that it entails. I would refer you to an excellent webpage on the subject. Facts & Fictions

Eric

Last edited:
I started poking around myself; Cylinder Services in Pico Rivera offers + and potentially even star rating tank testing. They have a week turn-around and do testing on Wednesdays. $30 for the hydro, failed to ask about tumbling.

Cylinder-Services

And no, this isn't an endorsement; I'm debating whether I'm motivated enough to drive there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom