Where to stay in Maui?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uncfnp

Solo Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I am considering a trip to Maui for a conference at the Westin in Kaanapali in May 2014. I prefer to stay at a VRBO/Homeaway option rather than the hotel but know nothing of the island. I hope to stay within 15 min of the hotel and ideally near a good area for diving.

Can anyone recommend a specific community or rental or at least a general area to look?

Thanks.

Lisa

Lahaina, Kaanapali, Napili, and Kapalua are all <15 mins from the Westin which is in the middle of the main resort area in Kaanapali. I think you'll find plenty of VRBO options in the area, we're staying at a condo on the beach right down from the Westin next month. Lahaina is the older town where most of the shops and restaurants are, accommodations in the area will be a little older and there isn't too much sandy beach . Kaanapali is a large resort area with Hyatt, Sheraton, Westin etc. Shopping, food, golf and more but much more high end but KILLER long beaches both south and better north of Black Rock (Sheraton). Kapalua is even more high end, but is a beautiful area with some nice beaches. Napili is our favorite area outside of Kaanapali and features more locals and has some really nice bays and beaches, and some killer snorkeling at some of the smaller coves with tons of turtles. These are a bit north and traffic can be a little thick getting into the resort areas.

There is some good(for Maui) shore diving at Black Rock, Airport Beach, Mala Wharf, and if you're up for some stairs, a long walk, and a rocky entry up at Slaughterhouse and Honolua bays.

Two more popular dive ops in Lahaina are 1) Lahaina divers (big comfy boats and groups by experience) with lots of options for destinations and schedules, and 2) Extended horizons which run one boat but goes to similar locations (I have never used them but they have a great reputation). The most affordable option for tanks and weights is MAUI DIVING Scuba Center/Snorkel Shop. Equipment Rental and the shore diving website Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Maui, Hawaiian Islands will give you an idea - the area you're talking about is on the upper West side of the island.

The other 'hot' area for diving is a 45 minute drive south to the Kihei/Makenna areas where the morning boats leave and go to Molokini crater then along the south coast for the 2nd dive. There are some really nice shore dives in the area as well.

We've been going to Maui for 20 years so if you have any specific questions, PM me and I'll give you my opinion (for what it's worth!)

Have Fun!!

Thanks Tunaman68. I was hoping you would weigh in with some info after I saw your post on the Maui Scuba thread. I will definitely take you up on your offer for more info when I've narrow things down a bit. The trip is obviously a ways off but I'm afraid the better condos will get booked if I wait too long and like you I like to plan ahead.

Ideally it would be on the water but price is a consideration. Eric and I appreciate quiet, rest and relaxation between adventures so I don't mind staying away from the tourist area unless that's where I need to be. It sounds like I need to check options in Kapili as well as Kaanapali though I don't like the possibility of heavy traffic.

Well, heavy traffic is relative - I'm in LA so it's just a little bit of slowing to me, not like gridlock or anything.

I'm sure some of the HI experts on the board will weigh in with more specific options - I'm just going with what we as a family like. Napili is quiet and away from the main tourist area. There is a larger grocery store nearby, and one of our favorite breakfast spots is there at The Gazebo. Best Mac nut pancakes and fried rice EVER! However, it might get to be a drag if you find yourself driving down to Kaanapali/Lahaina all the time. We've never stayed up there, but I think if we were to buy property, this might be where we'd look. Out of the busier area, but not off the grid. We like the beach and the lack of crowds so we usually spend a quieter day here during a trip.

Napili Hawaii Vacation Rentals by Owner - Napili Hawaii VRBO, Vacation Home Rentals, Condo Rentals, FRBO Vacation Rentals, Napili Hawaii Travel Information

Napili Point is a nice property all with ocean views, a cheaper option in the area is Napili Shores which fronts a gorgeous beach, has the Gazebo on property, and has great snorkeling around the corner. This is all 15 or so minutes from Kaanapali and 20 or so from Lahaina.

We're staying at The Whaler on Kaanapali beach. You could walk to the Westin (unless it's at the vacation villa condos which are a couple minutes drive up the road). This is in the middle of the action, but we love the beach and the shops next door. It's a quick run to Lahaina for dinner or shopping and also for reporting to the dive shop for an early morning departure.

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/hawaii/maui/west-maui/kaanapali/whaler

T

Thanks T. I remember seeing The Whaler as I was looking at options. Looked pretty good to me. Will definitely check them out too.

Eric and I appreciate quiet, rest and relaxation between adventures so I don't mind staying away from the tourist area unless that's where I need to be.

Take Whaler's.

Take away a lot of the condos. Add a 5 mile commute to the Westin. Traffic won't be bad until about the last mile typically. May shouldn't be bad, June will be. Substitute six 2-3 story buildings (10-20 units per building IIRC) for one 12-story.
Add a small private beach shared only with nearby houses. In a quiet residential area.
Add 1/2mi. north to Kapalua Bay, one of the nicest beaches on Maui. And a shallow dive site.

What do you get?

kahanasunsetmain.jpg

Maui Oceanfront Condos | Kahana Sunset Condo Rentals | Maui HI

Cleverly clicking on each building title on their accommodations page shows you the view from there. Building "E" has an obstructed view. All the others either look down into the pool/garden area or out to sea. You can also snorkel with the Turtles there.

To be fair the units are a little more crowded together than their website would like you to believe but IMO a lot nicer than anything in Kaanapali. It's also not a very big beach. But I think there's around 75 condos there total, the 2BR's are upper/lower. I'm also pretty sure the one bedrooms are not oceanfront but ocean/garden view. It's also going to be more expensive in that area.

kahana-sunset-s1.jpg

One of them - there's several others on vrbo.com also:
Kahana Vacation Rental - VRBO 408528 - 1 BR West Maui Condo in HI, Book Maui Today- Call for Summer Specials Until 8/31!

1/2 mile south is the Kahana Gateway shops. There's a Maui Dive shop there, Maui Brewing Co. for after, McDonalds. About 15 shops/restaurants. There was a Roy's (restaurant) there once but it may be gone now.

That whole area is far enough north that it's all low-rise units instead of the 10+ story hotel/condo complexes both in Kaanaapali and South Kahana so if you don't like it, look for something nearby. Google Maps has a lot of them identified. A lot of them will be 2-3BR though. South of Kahana Gateway mall are more of the large Kahana condo complexes interspersed with smaller units. What I don't like about that area is the sun glinting off the buildings - some of which shade the beach in the morning. You can see it on Google Earth.

Do you really want to stay here instead? I believe Whalers is the first big silver building mid beach. If you notice, 1/2 the building looks at...the other building. The Sheraton is in the foreground, that's the Black Rock dive site in the cove. The Westin is the 2 white roofed buildings down by the small point - off in the distance is Lahaina.
kaanapali-beach-hotel-aeria.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Steve, I really like the idea of some seclusion and privacy but with a great view. A little local flair is nice too. Eric and I are not much for sitting on the beach so sacrificing the larger beach is no sacrifice at all for us. An area close enough to the Westin for convenience but also close to activities; diving, snorkeling, what ever else Maui as to offer is more important than being in the middle of tourists.

As I said, the Whaler is in the middle of the action, is a high rise set up, and might be too touristy to be relaxing, but don't think there aren't nice views -

e5f58850-552f-43b1-bb44-f66095825ccb.1.10.jpeg
This is the unit we got at the Whaler on the ground floor looking at Black Rock. You can gear up on your patio and walk for a dive or just enjoy your morning coffee or walk the path down to the Hyatt and back. Very chill, very beautiful, but yes it will have some bodies around in the afternoons and evenings. In May it should be slower on Kaanapali, and as Steve's ariel shot points out, you could walk down the path along the beach to the Westin instead of ever having to get in the car.

Being from LA - any time I can avoid the car, I'm already relaxed!! :)

Also, the Black Rock dive site carries on all along the wall in front of the bluff and on to the beach which is out of sight to the left. You can enter either side, or do an out and back - max depth is 30' IIRC.

Steve is dead right about it being quieter and more secluded away from the main tourist areas and the place he showed sure looks nice!! Napili is just north of where Steve is talking about and shares the quiet and peaceful vibe with some local flair as well! I just love to be on Maui - anywhere except Kahului!

You guys are awesome! You are making this incredibly difficult, or easy since I think I can't go wrong with any of your suggestions. After considering the pros and cons, proximity to the Westin is going to win out over privacy and seculsion. If I am able to walk to the Westin, that leaves Eric free to use the car without worrying about picking me up and if there is any down time during the conference I can easily return to the condo. Maybe even get in a little diving/snorkeling!

Maybe the next trip will be pure pleasure and I can try one of the quieter options.

Since you've offered, I may PM later in the planning stages to get must do dive sites and land based activities since my free time will be at a premium.

Thanks again guys.

Lisa

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom