Best spots to dive around Australia and Fiji?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Buffalo, New York; Clevland, Ohio; Rockhampton, Au
Hey everyone, I am going to be studying in Australia for the next 5 months, and I will also be in Fiji for a couple weeks. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestion of the best places to dive. I can basically get around the majority of the east coast of Australia and my main goal is to see wide variety of wildlife. So basicaly what are the best places to dive around the Great Barrier Reef and Fiji? Any good experiances? Bad experiances?

In short, get out to the Coral Sea (Mike Ball is a good option) off Queensland and into the eastern Bligh Water in Fiji (you won't be disapponted with Bamboo Reef Divers, formerly Crystal Divers).

Louie:
And when in Australia, don't forget to do the Yongala off Townsville.

It's a magnificent wreck with a massive amount of sealife.

And the Lady Bowen half way Cairns / Townsville

You'll probably want to stay as far north as possible to get the best dives on the GBR. I would suggest the northern Ribbons and if possible the Coral Sea. The farther away from shore you get the better diving. Lizard Island area is really good. The best stuff would be even farther north such as Osprey reef or Shark reef, these are really only visited by liveaboards, they are worth the extra effort. If you'll be living there you should be able to watch for some great discounts in the Cairns and Port Douglas area.

Suggest you try Beqa Lagoon and Taveuni. Both have fantastic corals and lots of fish life. Aqua-Trek is at both locations and does a good job.
Be prepared for current though - especially at the Rainbow Reef off Taveuni. On and off the boat was usually exhausting - but worth it if you are young and muscular.

Australia's diving is SOOOOOOOOO diverse that this is an impossible question to answer. From tropical and well explored dive sites of the Barrier Reef to fantasic ands mostly unknown dive sites in more temperate water - as well as Ningaloo Reef in Western Australia - Diving in Australia is fantastic !!

check out this site for all diving in Australia

www.underwater.com.au is a great resource for all you diving questions - lots of stories, photos and excellent info.

It's THE Scuba diving portal for Australia. Comprehensive information on dive shops, liveaboards, charter and day boats, accommodation, gear and more - community meeting place for divers and marine enthusiasts.

See you underwater .....

Tim :wink:

underwater:
Australia's diving is SOOOOOOOOO diverse that this is an impossible question to answer. From tropical and well explored dive sites of the Barrier Reef to fantasic ands mostly unknown dive sites in more temperate water - as well as Ningaloo Reef in Western Australia - Diving in Australia is fantastic !!

check out this site for all diving in Australia

www.underwater.com.au is a great resource for all you diving questions - lots of stories, photos and excellent info.

It's THE Scuba diving portal for Australia. Comprehensive information on dive shops, liveaboards, charter and day boats, accommodation, gear and more - community meeting place for divers and marine enthusiasts.

See you underwater .....

Tim :wink:

With the time you have do it all. Just a thought but is cheap to get to PNG and some of the best diving you will ever get.

Everyone seems to forget the west coast of Oz. We have a lot to offer here - more coastline than any of the other states and a huge reef in the north west (Ningaloo). Perth has some nice reefs. (Crayfish abound!) Albany and Dunsborough have two ex-navy ships sunk as dive sites. Give the west a go. :)

Like the other posters have mentioned, I agree, if you are leaving from Cairns or Port Douglas, the farther you go up north, the better. The cheapest live-aboards that go up north are Taka and Spirit of Freedom. Also, book when you get there and not ahead if budget is a factor, you'll save a lot, sometimes up to 50% off the prices posted online. I've heard great things about the Yongalla too, I didn't dive there last time but I'm going to dive there this August. I'll be in Australia for at least 4 months starting August 1st...I'm giving myself about 5 weeks to go down the coast from Cairns to Sydney, before I start having to look for a job in either Sydney or Melbourne. How are you getting down the coast? I am trying to decide between Greyhound or Oz Experience. Have you heard of any other good options?

Back
Top Bottom