Yellow Point, Catalina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mmcdanie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hopefully we will be going to Yellow Point in Catalina this coming weekend. Does anybody have any advice for this site. This will be our first time there.
Thanks in advance.

Well, I've lived and dived on Catalina for 44 years now and I don't have a clue where Yellow Point is. Not much help.

Well, I've lived and dived on Catalina for 44 years now and I don't have a clue where Yellow Point is. Not much help.
He means Yellowtail Point. I know because I am going with him..(missed it by that much)

Yep. Yellowtail point, which is west of rippers by about a mile. I need to stop writing when I'm busy. Any info would be appreciated.

Ah, yes... I realized last night you might be referring to Yellowtail Point. Interesting dive site. It's been a while since I've dived it but my main target when I go there is the orangethroat pikeblenny, especially if the males are hopped up on hormones and trying to woo the ladies. As I remember it some interesting coastal geology. If you're spearfishing, it didn't get its name for nothing!

Thanks. I had to look up what a orangethroat pikeblenny was, and can say, in my 50 plus dives I've not seen one so I'll keep an eye out.
Thanks again.

Thanks. I had to look up what a orangethroat pikeblenny was, and can say, in my 50 plus dives I've not seen one so I'll keep an eye out.
Thanks again.
Look in "empty" tube worm homes. The blennies will poke their heads out and with shake their bodies plus bounce up and down. You have to be extremely patient and don't get too close. I've laid in the sand six feet away and waited twenty minutes for a few seconds of video. I didn't shoot this, but it's a good example of what to look for.

Orange throat pikeblenbnies are one of my favorite critters to film. The males just go crazy trying to entice the ladies into their burrows. I've written two of my "Dive Dry" columns about them:

Star Thrower Educational Multimedia (S.T.E.M.) Dive Dry Column

Star Thrower Educational Multimedia (S.T.E.M.) Dive Dry Column

DDDB 197 pikeblenny courting.jpg

If you look closely at the bottom two pix, you can see the much duller female approaching the burrow and then inside it with the male

What a beautiful site. We had a great first dive and saw many bugs, one sting ray, some abalone, giant kelp leaves like I've never seen before....but no pikeblennies. Great viz, warm water and little current.
I had heard a report of leopard sharks at this site but that was a bust for us. Maybe next time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom