Florida Snorkeling question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My husband just told me he's taking me and the kids to Florida for a long weekend in a couple of weeks (surprise for the kids). Main focus for trip is snorkeling. Our kids are teens and good swimmers, but have never snorkeled (and they are a little too confident in the water, which concerns me. I am not really a "good swimmer" - but I swim well enough to survive and was able to get my open water SCUBA certification - have only gone on 8 dives, so I'm "new" to it. Anyway, we are looking for good safe snorkeling area - easy to get to, able to enter from a beach preferable - and good for beginners. We do not want to drive all the way to the keys as it's already going to be a 10 hour drive from where we live. I've looked at Destin, PCB (St Andrews Park), Pensacola, Tampa, ... I'm getting confused. They all seem great. If anyone is familiar with these places and has recommendations or opinions, please HELP! The trip and hotel stay itself is going to cost us enough, so we won't have a lot extra for expensive "excursions" or other costly "touristy" attractions. We are all pretty low key anyway, and we all enjoy relaxation instead of the busy or crowded party scene. Just looking for good snorkeling - Any and all suggestions very much appreciated!

plenty of beach snorkeling and diving in lauderdale by the sea -- the 1st reef is only 100 yds off shore and the "shipwreck snorkel trail" is fun/interesting. lots of places to stay either on the beach or close by. actually anywhere between lauderdale by the sea and Hollywood is good -- if either snorkeling or diving - i'd rent a flag. the boardwalk in lbts has Kilwins (chocolate shop) and Gold Coast Scuba is within walking distance. i've seen turtles, rays, tons of fish --- no lobsters i swear! :cool2:

Thanks - One of my neighbors just told me she used to live in Lauderdale and went diving quite a bit. She also mentioned a place called Fort Myers? Then her husband recommended staying on the gulf side/panhandle area. ???

---------- Post added July 25th, 2013 at 11:28 PM ----------

Me again. We're not going to be able to do any SCUBA this time- Our teens have never done it, and this will be their first time snorkeling, which is the main reason for the trip. My husband and I enjoy SCUBA, but haven't been able to go on a trip for 5 years. We really wanted to go this year for our anniversary, but I also wanted to take the kids on a trip, so my husband said we could take the kids with us and just make it a snorkeling adventure. We live in mountains of NC and this trip to Florida is going to be a complete surprise for them, especially the snorkeling. They hated Myrtle Beach because of all the party-goers and crowds. Not your typical teens, so somewhere with a laid back, relaxed atmosphere would be great.

Sanibel is really laid back -- but the snorkeling sucks in my opinion :( lauderdale by the sea tends not to be too crowded except on holidays and miniseason. it's definitely laid back. lots of great restaurants on commercial blvd.

Back
Top Bottom