Spearfishing in the caribbean???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

s.patrum

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My brother and I are planning a trip for the coming spring, possibly to one of the islands in the Caribbean or off the coast of South America. Both of us are interested in doing some spearfishing but need some information regarding local laws and regulations. I understand some places only allow pole spears and that some do not allow any taking of fish by divers.

Where are some good places to go, and the sources for the regulations for these destinations?

Utilize the internet. It's easy information to find but you have to have an idea of where you are going first.

If "one of the islands off the coast of South America" is Bonaire - think again...
Spear fishing: Spear fishing and the possession of spear fishing equipment is prohibited. If you have a spear gun please leave it with the Customs Office while you are on Bonaire.
STINAPA - Bonaire National Marine Park

Not in the Curacao Marine Park either. I don't know about the west side.

I'm relatively sure it's completely banned in Aruba also.

Lionfish hunting may be different.

Spearboard has a list but it's mostly the U.S. regulations. Worldwide Spearing Regulations Websites - Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Yea you might want to specify where in the Caribbean lol!!! Theres a LOT of places to fish ova here. :wink: In STT a $12 fishing lic. that you can get in advance/shipped to you and a spear is all you need. Hell most people dont even have a license... I do, because I am a good girl lol! You can go anywhere you want (except east end marine park) and hunt what you like. BE ADVISED we have Ciguatera throughout the Caribbean and is more common on the southside of STT. I don't know about Ciguatera on STX. STJ is mostly marine preserve so dont bother going over there. Northside of STT is home to "north drop" one of... if not THE most popular fishing spot in the USVI. Its not Caribbean thou... technically. I spearfish all along the northside and don't get sick. I try to stick to the rule "if the fish can fit on a large dinner plate with no head" its usually safe. I hunt for food and not for the biggest fish. There are quite a few companies here that do only spearfishing trips. Stay away from bar jack most common for Ciguatera (say long time locals) but I personally don't think I believe that. Then again I passed up on some huge ones today... so I guess subconsciously I do believe it. We have some big yellowtail snapper and mahogany snapper are back in season, Ive seen huge permits landed and amberjacks and crevalle jacks. Big ones are impossible for a newbie like myself it seems. I landed a big cero mackerel the other day. He was tasty on top of a salad. Nassau groupers are a big NO NO. Spear, kill and leave every lionfish you can find. Honestly I don't hunt groupers or hinds. Lobster season is on too... got this big bug today :D

1000305_10200873538059716_988717001_n.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom