Caves in Austin Area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blowin Da Bubbl

Registered
Reaction score
Any caves available to dive in the Austin area?
I have a friend coming in from Houston that is an avid cave diver.
We will be diving Mannsfield Dam on the 31st of Jan. through the 1st of Feb.
However I would like to sweeten the pot for any later trips he will be taking up here to visit and dive. I am also considering it myself but waiting for proper training and gear as I don't care to die being an idiot. I know I am new to diving but my approach is meticulous and calculating . So given that I know and intend to get alot done before my first cavern much less cave dive.
Any info that I may pass along is helpful and I thank you in advance for taking the time to read this post as well as any intelligent replies it may produce.

Damon
aka B.D.B=Blowin Da Bubbles

but you need a seeing-eye carp in Travis right now...the lake is turning over and the recent heavy rains haven't exactly helped the vis. My last dive was touch-contact for buddy location...

Just a heads-up...

cyklon_300:
but you need a seeing-eye carp in Travis right now...the lake is turning over and the recent heavy rains haven't exactly helped the vis. My last dive was touch-contact for buddy location...

Just a heads-up...

I hear ya . I dove with a buddy there on Jan 3rd and the vis was about 2 -3' .
Tried to get under it but was no better at 120'. I am hoping that it has improved by then but in all honesty may not clear until mid feb.
Thanx for the heads up I appreciate the reply and info .
B.D.B.

Oh almost forgot . I am not one who shys from poor vis. I am working on my nav skills.
This area is good for me as I dove there for the rangers and ran the new lines for them as well as setting new bouys and dive sleds. I have three maps of it and all the headings so I am very comfortable there . It is a good way for me to hone my skills imo w/o getting lost. My main concern although I am a bit of a polar bear is the 55degree water temp. I do not have a dry suit so I will be diving 6.5 farmer john and a jacket w/ hood and gloves. I did 4 dives on the 3rd in 62 deg. water to 120' and was fine w/ no gloves or farmer john but did wear a hood and the jacket. Just hoping that adding the farmer john and gloves will be enough. At 13mil. on my core though it should be plenty .Heck I have swam in colder in shorts and a tee - shirt for longer ...lol

B.D.B

I don't think there are any diveable caves in florida, the closet may be in Missouri. ALl the cavers I know that live in Texas come here to Florida. Maybe someone else can give you more info. I am glad that you said that you would await the proper training before cavern or cave diving, I have seen too many needless deaths cuz of going beyond training levels in diving.

There are caves you can dive in Texas, but they're difficult if not dangerous. I know that there's one in Lake Amistad pretty deep (around 80-90 feet), and there's another around Wimberly that's famous for killing people. I heard my scariest real-life scuba story from that cave.
Supposedly all along the Balcones Fault you might bump into underwater cave systems (I found one once while hiking), but they're mostly all on private property. I suggest you get a Texas cave guide and look there rather than on the scuba board. And you (and your buddies) better be super-duper cave divers!

Wendy:
I don't think there are any diveable caves in florida, the closet may be in Missouri. ALl the cavers I know that live in Texas come here to Florida. Maybe someone else can give you more info. I am glad that you said that you would await the proper training before cavern or cave diving, I have seen too many needless deaths cuz of going beyond training levels in diving.

I beg to differ Wendy . There are I've been told many diveable caves in Florida .My question was are there any in or around Austin , Texas.I am aware that there are some 6000 caves in the hill country here alone but they are either govt . restricted or privately owned and not open to divers. Those not known about are on private land and the owners dont want anyone knowing because the govt. tries to take their land, or dont want people dying there and such.
Thanx for your input.
D.B.D.

archman:
There are caves you can dive in Texas, but they're difficult if not dangerous. I know that there's one in Lake Amistad pretty deep (around 80-90 feet), and there's another around Wimberly that's famous for killing people. I heard my scariest real-life scuba story from that cave.
Supposedly all along the Balcones Fault you might bump into underwater cave systems (I found one once while hiking), but they're mostly all on private property. I suggest you get a Texas cave guide and look there rather than on the scuba board. And you (and your buddies) better be super-duper cave divers!

Haywood has dove with some of the worlds best cave divers so that is his world not mine. If the cave you are speaking of in Wimberly is jacobs well I am familiar with it . But only the S.M.A.R.T. team (San Marcos Area Rescue Team) is allowed to dive there. 8 divers lost their lives there in 1979. 6 were recovered . And the remaining 2 were not recovered until some 21 years later.
Again I stress I am not intending to undertake this type of diving until I have recieved proper training and aquired the proper gear. And even then not until I feel comfortable enough with my skills.For me this is several years away . For Haywood it has been his passion for years. He has been very successful at it and is what I would refer to as highly accomplished w/ over 600 cave dives.He brings enough gear to suit out 8 people and is not a shop owner if ya get my drift. Again people I am looking for a cave he and another cave diver can legally dive here in the Hill Country . Does anyone have some info worth passing on to him. Not me , him. I do not care to go even with someone with his experience until I have gained some of my own through proper training and have practiced my skills till they are down pat. I understand the dangers all to well . I know what curiousity does to cats . I would like to think I am a more sentient being than a feline and would not give in to the temptations of curiousity as readily when my life hangs in the balance . So with all due respect enough of the pucker factor lets get to the definitive point.Are they here or not? And if so where might I tell him to go even if privately owned maybe contact information so that he may plan a trip and not have to fly to Florida to do Ginnie Springs and such which he has dove extensively.Hell he wants to contact S.M.A.R.T. team to help map Jacobs Well w/ gps . From what I gather he highly enjoys the tech side of diving as well as having a purpose on the dive.ie. mapping ,recovery,or other under water related projects. I don't condone diving beyond ones limits so the warnings are a bit redundant. I hope this clarifies my position. Although redundancy in diving especially cave diving is a good thing I get it ok.
Thanx again for your input. Does anyone have any worthwhile info to pass along.

B.D.B.

archman:

Archman where were hiking when you stumbled on the cave entrance?

Thanks in advance
Dave

Through reading posts on this board in the past I have heard people talk about caves at Balmorhea State Park. Although, I am not a cave diver and know no more than that. Sorry, but maybe it will add some discussion for your post. Or you could do a scubaboard search on Balmorhea. Keep Diving!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom