Cheap, quick and convenient way to stow weights on a sidemount harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I saw a good video on Youtube detailing a method of stowing weights on sidemount harness webbing. Whilst I currently use trim weight pockets on the spine webbing, I think this method has definite applications - especially for quick adjustment of weights during initial set-up and configuration in-water.

It's on my blog (pics, descriptions and video):

Simple Method for Adding Weight to a Sidemount Diving Harness

Super tip, thanks.

Devon, thanks for the tip.
I've used a similar technique with students (I'm a retired instructor) for quick weight adding.
I keept several in a plastic milk crate for easy access.
It works well with heavier nylon strapping, but not as well with softer webbing.
Tie two loops as you have but pass them through the two weight slots.
Orient the weight in typical fashion (90° to yours)
Pass one loop over top belt, & one under (below) it. The upper loop is stretched down right around the belt & up over the weight and hooked over the top of the weight.
The bottom loop is stretched up around the back, down over the front of the weight and hooked over bottom of the weight.

I found these quick & easy to use. are double secure, & doesn't require the cable tie.

Hope this is of use to you.

Mike D

Very interesting idea! I would skip the zip tie so you would have the option to drop the weight if needed.

Finally found the link to add for this kind of weight:

MAKO 2 Pound "I" Weight

Haven't seen them IRL but I want them.

Cast your own? Or just take hammer & chisel to existing weights?

Very interesting idea! I would skip the zip tie so you would have the option to drop the weight if needed.

Yeah, I wouldn't opt for the zip-tie either. I've thought about pulling the loop down over the opposite side (rather than the same side as per the video) - that might add some security, but retain an easy-off. Will have a play with it tomorrow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom