How to get started

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jazzymusicman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey guys/gals,

After getting certified a week ago, I joined my instructor and a few of his dive masters for Florida's spiny lobster mini-season. Even though we caught a bunch of bugs, I'm still irked by the fact we couldn't send this one big lion fish to fishy hell because we didn't have the proper equipment. As a new diver, I want to carry something that I can use to kill those buggers, without having to hold the spear full-time.

I was looking into the foldspear, and even saw a 4-footer at a local store, which looked like it would work great. I didn't buy the four footer, because after seeing so many cool videos of hunters with polespears, I decided that maybe I'd want to shoot something other than just lion fish but only if an opportune moment arose. Is a 6 foot polespear (the foldspear to be exact) good enough for any kind of real stalking and hunting? Am I just better off buying a 4 foot foldspear for lionfish, and then whenever I do want to go hunting making it part of my dive plan, and just taking a gun?

I understand that with 8 dives, I really should just be focusing on working on my trim/bouyance/mechanics, but I want a way to get a foothold into hunting, and definitely into lionfish control. Any advice is greatly appreciated

Personally I think if you want to hunt its easier IME not scuba diving. The bubbles seem to scare all the big fish away. Freediving is more challenging for spearfishing but it allows you to be more silent and get closer with a pole spear. I guess if you're using a spear gun you will have better range but I only use a pole spear for now. I do see videos of people scuba and spearing but they always have spear guns. Im a newb too so I am just giving you advice on what I have noticed. Went diving all day yesterday and saw some GREAT sized yellow tail snappers and mahogany snappers and I couldn't get even remotely close. If I would have been freediving I would have had fish for dinner.

i ended up just buying a 4 foot foldspear to kill lionfish and eventually if i grow into it i'll get the 2' upgrade kit or a full blown spear gun for the other fish, thanks for the advice caribbeanchick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom