What haven't we found on the barge?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Merry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Readers of this board may tire of hearing about the Redondo barge. The barge "this", the barge "that". Admittedly, there are times of the year when there's not much to see. But the reason divers keep returning to this rusty oasis is that one never knows what new animal will have taken up residence or is just visiting. From mola cleaning stations to octopus nests, to the tiniest, most uncommon nudi, the barge sports it all. Perhaps its proximity to Redondo Canyon combined with mild currents contribute to the goodly number of gelatinous invertebrate species one can see.

This is the one spot I can find a patient pile perch.

Pygmy poacher

Scale worm (polychaete) on the underside of a sea cuke.

Triopha catalinae

Sheepcrab dining on fried egg jelly.

Earlier this month, Scott and Margaret Webb advised us that jellies were thick over the barge. We zoomed over and found larvaceans aplenty. These two species were huge (perhaps 3-4mm). I love the shape of their mucous-net houses.

Aggregate whorls of Cyclosalpa bakeri have been plentiful for weeks. This one is contributing yet another whorl to the world.

Very few Beroe cucumis so far.

From Point Vicente Pinnacles, this is the black and yellow rockfish, Spot. So named for its distinctive lower lip and memorable behavior. Found on the same reef two days in a row, it would consistently barrel toward me, usually coming too close to shoot.

New to diving so sorry if this is an obvious question.
Is this Redondo beach Ca.?
I'm in MDR.
How does one go about diving this place if it is RB, Ca?
thanks,
RT

Diving the Palos Verdes Peninsula by Phil Garner, will tell you everything you need to know :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom