Night Dive on Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Black Manta

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm considering the night dive with Lahaina Divers on Maui. I noticed that the dive is only offered once a week. Is that an indication that it's not worth it? If it's a great dive would it be popular and more in demand? Anyone who has made the dive recently, feel free comment.

Ulua beach, Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Maui, Hawaiian Islands is a nice easy shore dive to do at night if you dont want to pay for a boat trip. Max depth about 35' and an easy reef to follow.

The GF and I were there in January and did about 1/2 a night dive there. The surge was up the whole week we where there so vis was limited + night + surge we called the dive early. If conditions would have been better it would have been a great dive.

The problem with Ulua as a night dive from shore is that the parking lot closes at 8 pm (if I remember right).

We did the evening/night dive with Lahaina Divers this last trip, and it was the first boat dive I'd done on Maui in a long time that I thought was TOTALLY worth it. We did the Carthaginian as a dusk dive, and it was covered in frogfish. And then we did the Mala Pier as a night dive. Now, the pier is a shore dive, but managing the entry at night would be really a pain, so doing it off a boat is perfect. We had an absolute ball. The site is phenomenal in the daytime, but it may be even better at night.

I'd say go for it.

The problem with selling night dives is that most vacation-only divers "don't do" night dives. They'd rather spend their night at the bar.

If you're looking for alternatives, Extended Horizons does Black Rock from shore at night. I think they'll go with just one diver - up to 4.

I dont know you level but I asked about a night dive at black rock and got some great advice. Search" black rock guide".
Anyway I am here still on Maui. The tropical storm was very mild.
Anyway based on the info I recieved on that thread my 15 year old son and I did the night dive at black rock without paying for a guide. It was very, very easy and worthwhile. On my thread someone posted an ariel map with markers , direction and notes for me to follow.
If you are anxious call the LDS and they will set you up with a dive master to guide you.
Mala must also be very cool at night.
Have fun
RT

---------- Post added July 30th, 2013 at 11:40 PM ----------

Here it is and credit and thanks to Tunaman68.

We have done it three times, the first time with a guide. What they showed us turned out to be an easy way to do the dive if you can pull it off logistically as well as be comfortable in the water and at night.

Have someone drop you off and pick you up if possible. Go north of the Sheraton where the driveway goes right up next to the golf course and dump the gear on the sidewalk. (A) Leave one diver with the gear (build your kit with the headlights before taking away the car if it's dark). Gear up and walk across the golf course and climb down a little ledge between the rocks and on to the beach. (B) Get in the water (there's usually a drop off in the sand so watch your step). (b1) Fin up and drop down - keep the wall on your left and go really slow working the wall and the underhangs, as well as all the rocks and coral in the sand. It should take you 45 mins or so to work around - there is the cut in that will get very shallow, so if you turn in here, you'll have to swim back out (C) No big deal, and this is such a shallow dive that you can always turtle navigate (pop up and see where you are). Watch the current as you come around the corner at (C) - work your way into the shallows, or come up when you're low on air - you want to come ashore a little away from the rocks (aim for the pool/gazebo area) (D) Stay deep enough to take your fins off outside of the break zone or you'll get tumbled here - time the sets and walk out. You can rinse your face and the worst of the sand off in the beach shower then walk up the property and through the building at the corner where the towers meet. (E) This will take you through and back to the driveway where you started (A). If someone is meeting you, make it an hour. If you have to park, I'm not sure where to do it (the wife always picks us up)!

If any of this sounds too hard, then yes you need a guide - but it's really a simple fun way to do this dive!

---------- Post added July 30th, 2013 at 11:41 PM ----------

Here it is and credit and thanks to Tunaman68.

We have done it three times, the first time with a
guide
. What they showed us turned out to be an easy way to do the dive if you can pull it off logistically as well as be comfortable in the water and at night.

Have someone drop you off and pick you up if possible. Go north of the Sheraton where the driveway goes right up next to the golf course and dump the gear on the sidewalk. (A) Leave one diver with the gear (build your kit with the headlights before taking away the car if it's dark). Gear up and walk across the golf course and climb down a little ledge between the rocks and on to the beach. (B) Get in the water (there's usually a drop off in the sand so watch your step). (b1) Fin up and drop down - keep the wall on your left and go really slow working the wall and the underhangs, as well as all the rocks and coral in the sand. It should take you 45 mins or so to work around - there is the cut in that will get very shallow, so if you turn in here, you'll have to swim back out (C) No big deal, and this is such a shallow dive that you can always turtle navigate (pop up and see where you are). Watch the current as you come around the corner at (C) - work your way into the shallows, or come up when you're low on air - you want to come ashore a little away from the rocks (aim for the pool/gazebo area) (D) Stay deep enough to take your fins off outside of the break zone or you'll get tumbled here - time the sets and walk out. You can rinse your face and the worst of the sand off in the beach shower then walk up the property and through the building at the corner where the towers meet. (E) This will take you through and back to the driveway where you started (A). If someone is meeting you, make it an hour. If you have to park, I'm not sure where to do it (the wife always picks us up)!

If any of this sounds too hard, then yes you
need
a
guide
- but it's really a simple fun way to do this dive!

---------- Post added July 30th, 2013 at 11:41 PM ----------

Here is the link to that thread
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/hawaii/461115-black-rock-maui-night-do-i-need-guide.html

I'm considering the night dive with Lahaina Divers on Maui. I noticed that the dive is only offered once a week. Is that an indication that it's not worth it? If it's a great dive would it be popular and more in demand? Anyone who has made the dive recently, feel free comment.

I did the LD night dive back in the first week of May. I thought it was a great dive. We went down to the Carthaginian wreck right at dusk and then a shallow reef after sun set. I'd do it again!

We did the evening/night dive with Lahaina Divers this last trip, and it was the first boat dive I'd done on Maui in a long time that I thought was TOTALLY worth it. We did the Carthaginian as a dusk dive, and it was covered in frogfish. And then we did the Mala Pier as a night dive. Now, the pier is a shore dive, but managing the entry at night would be really a pain, so doing it off a boat is perfect. We had an absolute ball. The site is phenomenal in the daytime, but it may be even better at night.

I'd say go for it.

We are already going on the Lanai drift in a couple of weeks, and adding these two dives makes for there Thursday 'all day' excursion. I think we'll go for it! We've been diving Maui for many years, but still haven't gotten around to Mala!! This seems like the perfect way - SOLD!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom