Thinking about getting a gun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TigerDiver8

Contributor
Reaction score
Ventura County, California, United States
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been diving for over a year and absolutely love it. I also spend alot of my time in the water for work and want to expand my hobbies in the water, so i have been looking into getting into spear fishing. I found this gun on divers-supply inc and wanted to see if anyone thought this would be a good one to get just to start out. Also, does this come with everything i need.

Seac Bolt America 75 Spear Gun

Let me know,
Safe Diving

"Shown with optional reel and tip"

So to answer your question, no, it doesn't come with everything you need. You'll have to order a tip. If you don't, you'll get a rod with a threaded end on it. Tips are pretty cheap though. The reel isn't necessary but some people love them.

I'm not familiar with this gun or manufacturer so I can't comment on that. I personally would suggest JBL if you wanted me to give you a recommendation on manufacturer.

oh great, thank you. In regards to the length of the gun, is that just for range of shot? I will being hunting at the Channel Islands in California and off the beaches of Malibu. What length should I look at. Im 5'9 if that matters haha

oh great, thank you. In regards to the length of the gun, is that just for range of shot? I will being hunting at the Channel Islands in California and off the beaches of Malibu. What length should I look at. Im 5'9 if that matters haha

When someone talks about length on the speargun, they're typically referring to the shaft (the metal rod the gun fires). The D7 is 33". The length of the shaft isn't particularly indicative of a particular distance. In all reality, the distance will depend on how long the string is that connects the shaft to the gun. Although typically you can expect a larger shaft to shoot further :)rofl3:), only because the larger guns will have more bands. The more bands, the more tension...the more tension, the greater the force it fires.

The D7 I linked you to has a 12' range. Bear in mind you won't want to try to reach out and touch something at the extreme end of your range. You'll still want enough kinetic energy to really hit the fish pretty hard. There is nothing worse than hitting a fish and having the tip stop halfway through it when you have the flaps that come off the tip. Getting them out is nothing less than a real hassle.

Also, I should ask if you have sort of an idea on what you want to hunt. I had a guy come into my shop and he wanted a JBL Super Carbine to shoot small mouth bass. That's akin to using a Desert Eagle .50 AE hand cannon to kill rabbits. This is why most hunters have a few different guns to accommodate what they will be hunting. I don't suggest the D7 for a grouper for example!

---------- Post added July 31st, 2013 at 06:44 PM ----------

And 33" = 84cm for reference

You may also want to hit up the spearboard forum. Rob Allen is another popular brand in addition to JBL and Mako already being mentioned.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom