MO cave fatality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaguy

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Afew months ago a man lost his life at Roubidoux, it was a big mess, But the point here is I heard the other day through the grapevine the guy that was with him is loosing his Instructors lisence over the deal, I refuse to list any names so if you dont know about it please dont ask,

Has anyone else heard anything, I was just curious.

I haven't heard about the instructor being given the boot. I don't think he was teaching at the time of the accident though I'm not sure that matters.

MikeFerrara:
I haven't heard about the instructor being given the boot. I don't think he was teaching at the time of the accident though I'm not sure that matters.

I was there when it happened and the Instructor said he was not teaching at the time.

That was kind of my question.

scubaguy:
Afew months ago a man lost his life at Roubidoux, it was a big mess, But the point here is I heard the other day through the grapevine the guy that was with him is loosing his Instructors lisence over the deal, I refuse to list any names so if you dont know about it please dont ask,

T..

Want to hear more about this in class next month. Sorry to hear he is loosing his teching credentials but don't understand how that could if he was not acting as an instructor at the time of the accident.

scubaguy:
I was there when it happened and the Instructor said he was not teaching at the time.

That was kind of my question.

Interesting. Were you in the other team that was mentioned in the report that Jason W. posted?

Hmmmm....

This is interesting. If true it would mean that once you take the jump to be an "instructor", you are (by the agency anyway) always treated as one - even when you're not teaching.

I'm not sure if I like that particular view or not. I can see both sides to that debate, but in general I suspect that winds up driving people away from the desire to teach.

Genesis:
Hmmmm....

This is interesting. If true it would mean that once you take the jump to be an "instructor", you are (by the agency anyway) always treated as one - even when you're not teaching.

I'm not sure if I like that particular view or not. I can see both sides to that debate, but in general I suspect that winds up driving people away from the desire to teach.

I wouldn't jump to any conclusions because we don't know that he lost his instructor ticket and if he did we don't know for certain that it had anything to do with this accident.

However, if you look at the agreements that instructors are required to sign each time they renew I'm sure you'd find clauses that could be used to call an instructors conduct into question regardless of whether or not they're teaching.

There were several things about this dive (per the report that I read) that I think could have caused the agency to look into the situation and possibly take action.

Well, like I said, it sounds like a good argument for not teaching to me.

Its entirely reasonable to expect me to uphold some set of standards or otherwise meet a set of "rules" while exercising my credentials. But during the rest of my personal life, I'm just a private citizen.

It takes a lot of money to get me to sign over my sovereignty during times I'm not "on the clock." I've had this debate before with various employers, and in no case were they willing to pay me for 24 hours daily in order to secure that level of control.

scubaguy:

Here is the artical I think . It is all I could find.Hope it helps.

B.D.B.

Diver drowns in Roubidoux Springs

By Jodi Thompson

photo by Jessica Wilson

A St. Louis man died Saturday morning during an apparent diving accident at Roubidoux Spring Cave in Waynesville.

Steven T. Wibracht, 50, of St. Louis, was reported missing at 10:40 a.m. by one of his two companion divers.

The man emerged from the cave within the Springs to report Wibracht had been lost during the dive to the Pulaski County Sheriff's Department.

Reportedly, as the three divers were ascending to the surface, Wibracht notified the two others accompanying him that due to his psi level, it was time to "move on." As they continued in their ascension, Wibracht was forced to share a tank. And some point, Wibracht lost contact with his partners.

As one man left the spring to report Wibracht missing to the sheriff's department, the other diver remained in the cave, searching.

Two members of the Pulaski County Dive Team, Jonathan Davis and Mike Gibbens, were called to the scene for their expertise in cave diving. Also, responding were the sheriff's and fire departments and officers with the police department.

Less than an hour later, Wibracht's body was found and at 11:36 a.m., Wibracht was pronounced dead at the scene by the Pulaski County Coroner.

Wibracht was transported to Greene County for post mortem examination by the Southwest Missouri Forensics Department.

"We had all of his [Wibracht's] gear checked out," said Waynesville Police Chief Don McCullough, "and everything was in functional condition."

McCullough explained all divers are required to check into the Pulaski County Sheriff's Department before and after their dive, and that all divers must be certified cave divers before diving at the Roubidoux Spring Cave. Wibracht was certified as required. This was his fourth time diving at the Springs since February of 2003, according to records.

This is the fourth diving fatality in Roubidoux Springs since Chief McCullough began working for the Police Department in 1987, he said.

Because of where the body was found, fairly close to the surface, it is believed that one of the possibilities is the buoyancy mechanism in the suit was not released.

In 1991, it took the Police Department nearly two days to find the body of a couple who had were reported missing during a dive. Wibracht was found in less than an hour.

"At this time, we're not really sure what exactly went wrong," McCullough said. "Autopsy results are still pending. There are a number of things that can go wrong."

The Roubidoux Spring Cave is acclaimed around the nation, as well as around the world, as one of the most beautiful underwater caves known. The Roubidoux Spring Web site explains that the spring once emerged from a cave opening, but it is now permanently backflooded by a dam built to keep it out of Roubidoux Creek. "People come here from all over," McCullough said.

A joint investigation by the Waynesville Police Department, Pulaski County Sheriff's Department and the Pulaski County Coroner's Office is still underway. Also responding to the scene Saturday was the Waynesville Rural Fire Department.

MikeFerrara:
Interesting. Were you in the other team that was mentioned in the report that Jason W. posted?

No I had just arrived when it happened and needless to say didnt get in the water, But I am interested in the other article you mentioned, could you give me a link please.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom