Visiting downtown Seattle Aug 10-14--recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jaeger45

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I'm visiting Seattle for a conference next weekend and into the following week. I'd like to get some afternoon/evening diving in (no buddy). Have plenty of drysuit experience, but no time on Puget Sound. Any suggestions? Open to meet-up, charter, or both.

Thanks!

Where are you going to be staying? Will you have a car? What dive gear will you have with you?

The tides for the weekend are so-so, but they get steadily better, and Wednesday's tides are awesome in the afternoon. This means that a charter on the weekend would be quite reasonable, but as the days go on, great shore diving becomes an option if you can get to the sites.

If you don't have a car, and are staying in downtown Seattle, you can always take the water taxi over to Alki and dive there. There are always divers there, and Wednesday nights, our GUE-Seattle group hosts a pair of dives to which anyone is welcome.

If you do have a car, let me know, and I can offer some ideas for the weekend charter and for the weekday afternoons. Unfortunately, I will be in New Mexico . . .

I'll be in a similar situation next month. I'm working around Blaine and Port Angeles on Tuesday through Thursday, but I thought about flying out there on Saturday or Sunday (Sept 7-8). If diving looks like a possibility, I'd bring all my gear (including drysuit) except tanks/weights. I'll also have a rental car. My dates are not set in stone yet (may be the following week), but I do want to look into some diving. I dove off San Diego/La Jolla many times, but never up in the Pacific Northwest.

Steve

Be forewarned that if you are here on business you are not allowed to say "citizen" or " brown bag" as these words are offensive. This means no emails mentioning brown bag lunches to discuss diving with local citizens. Welcome to Seattle!

Thanks, all. I'm staying at the Inn at Queen Anne near the Space Needle. (Downtown hotels are awfully expensive, and mostly booked). Toying with renting a car. Tentatively planning on having my drysuit and gear with me for singles diving, except tank and weights.

Will plan on making it to Alki Beach on Wednesday, and certainly open to other options as well. Any suggestions on tank rental?

Thanks, citizens! Will bring a brown bag. :) JK

---------- Post added August 4th, 2013 at 10:17 AM ----------

Could bring my doubles gear, just harder to get tanks....

Use this address for your GPS, it will get you there quick.

1660 Harbor Ave SW
Seattle Washington 98126

I wish I would have the address and my GPS last weekend when I went there...:D This address is for Marination, a restaurant on the dock at the sea taxi station. They have good fish and chips. There is parking there but in the lot it is only for two hours. Not sure what it is out on the street. When I was there on Sunday it was crowded for parking. It was my first time at Cove 2, it was a great dive even though the viz was a bit thick.

I hope the OP found someone to dive with!

Katch, there IS diving out in the Port Angeles area (Salt Creek is amazing) but it's exposed and very current-sensitive. There is also diving in Lake Crescent, which has amazing viz for the PNW and reportedly some fascinating structure, but not much life.

I'd recommend posting on nwdiveclub.com to see if you can find someone in that area to go with you. Having some knowledge of the sites in that area is really important.

Back
Top Bottom