Best shore dives for Maui and Kona???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divergal65

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We're going to be in the Kihei area ( in some condos near Grand Wailea) this Sat. thru Thursday for a conference, then taking trip to Kailua -Kona area from 6/15-22.
Just looking for any good shore dive suggestions at either place. For boat dives we've already booked the manta dive/ pelagic magic with Jacks diving Locker in Kona, but we're looking to the collective wisdom of the SB board for any suggestions for shore based dives.
One more question - is the Carthaginian on Maui a good wreck dive? Any coral growth yet? We were there in 2006 and it had just been sunk and it was pristine then, but just wondering how it is now
Tanks...:)

One of my favorite is Makena Landing. There is always so many thing to see. Always white tip sharks and plenty of turtles. We have also seen dolphins, mantas. and eagle rays along with all the small stuff.

Ulua and Makena Landing are two of our favorites. Easy entries, shallow with lots of critters, making for easy 90 minute dives. Both sites have showers and bathrooms.

I just found the site shorediving.com from another thread and it has oodles of info , and Ulua and Makena sound like really easy dives - we don't want jagged entries, beach entries suit us well. I just hope the fish life is ok - I've heard alot of fish are leaving via the aquarium trade.
Hows the water this time of year - will we need suits? I have a 1mm full and a 3mm short sleeved vest - hubby has a 3mm full suit . The last time we went was January 2006 and water temps were ~ 71-74, so we're hoping its a bit warmer!
Mahalo all

Water should be about 78-79 degrees. Fish life should be okay, but it's definitely sad to not see the big schools of Yellow Tang like we did just a few short years ago.

Plus one for Ulua and Makenna. Also five caves. Stop in the Maui dive shop and get their shore diving guide for free. SHore diving on Knoa is ok, but entry and exit is more challenging at most sites than on Maui, where there are scores of "user friendly" shore dives. Other good sites, if you don't mind driving farther, are Olawalu and Old airport. On just south of Lahaina, the other just north of Lahaina. The Carthaginian is a fun dive with limited corals and wild life, but a good chance for a white tip reef shark sighting ( we have seen them inside the wreck twice) and there is some macro life on the wreck ( as of last February). Also, be on the alert for a drive by from the Atlantis tourist submarine which dives the wreck several times a day.
DivemasterDennis

My vote: 5 Graves in Maui which will be in your book, 2 Step in Kona. Jack's Diving Locker has a handout on 2 Step. There is a great reef and a wall to a bit over 100'. I saw everything there I saw on boat dives except for the giant manta ballet.

On Maui 5 graves is best overall for me, it is not busy but sometimes cares are broken into, mostly on night dives. Makena and Ulua are fine with regular lots. Parking is an issue, plan to dive 8-9 in the mornings and no problems. After that you are fighting the swimmers. Dive flags are required by the life guards, bring an extra 5-6lbs weight and ditch it on the start of the reef unless you feel a need to tow it around.

Thanks for all the info. I was looking at the map for 5 graves/caves and it looks like its really close to Makena - in fact they look like the same site just different entries. Maybe we'll try both?!
we'll definitely ask about 2 steps in Kona too...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom