Big Fishermans cove?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

keithbt

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Taking my boat over to Two Harbors this weekend and plan on diving Big Fishermans Cove. I believe this is the time of year for ALOT of Leopard Sharks show up. So I hope they do... Does anyone (dr bill) know the rules of diving in the cove besides standard rules and MLPAs. I know its part of USC Wrigley Marine Science Center and don't want any problems. We will be swimming from our mooring to the cove, so no worries about the boat being in the cove...?:D

Keithbt, technically you're supposed to get permission from Wrigley and their DSO, but there is really no "enforcement". We've dove there many times from the campground or a CCD boat. You should be fine, keep in mind crossing the fairway(stay deep) and bring a safety sausage you don't want to come up in the channel, as well there are always U/W experiments Etc. deployed by the SC students, Do Not Disturb! It's still my favorite dive spot in So Cal. Keep in mind also that semifascinata(sp) are not always there, they love the shallow sandy cove but are also nomadic and at times are lurking in other parts of the island. I have observed one eating a juvinile Bat Ray once. You should indeed see some Bats. Try also to make your way to the pier pilings, Huge Calicos there.

Be Safe Out There!

...and if ya have a Kayak go shoot through the tunnel on the E. end of the p(r)eserve ;~)

Last edited:
We were at Two Harbors last weekend and walked over to the other harbor. There were a bunch of good size leopard sharks (4-ft) mucking about in 2-ft of water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom