Planning a trip to the Philippines - but where to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Badak

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello i am new here and hope to find some answers for my next planned trip.

I decided to go on a holiday to the Philippines. Flights to Cebu already booked for beginning of December. As there are so many islands, i have no idea what and where to choose.
I like to get certified as a Nitrox Diver and i have 2,5 weeks time and i would like to see 2-3 different islands. Maybe some big fish, maybe some macro, maybe some schooling fish, maybe some - you tell me...

Please suggest me some spots, islands, dive centers or even better some of the best instructors you have met on your vacation. Every comment will be highly appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance!

Badak

Welcome to scubaboard.

There are a lotof good dive sites on the Philippines, concentrating on the Visyas area as youare flying to (and from) Cebu, then I will suggest the following doing a 'roundtrip':
First you go to Malapasqua Island, that's a couple of hours travel from CebuCity and the nearest from Cebu. Try Evolution as dive resort. On Malapasqua youhave a chance to see Thresher sharks and you have both deep and shallow divesites with a good diversity.
Then go to Sipalay on Negros Island and do your nitrox course with Easydiving dive resort.Ask for Markus Brombacker as your instructor, with Markus you earn yourcertification not just given a plastic card. In Sipalay you have shallow diveswith sandy bottoms and rock formations, canyons, deep dives, wreck dives, walldives and a lot more. The staff is very helpful and you have good accommodationsand it is not pricy.
Then you should go to Dumaguete / Dauin only a few hours’ drive from Sipalay. Stay with MikesBeach Resort, that is like a little family, here you are a name not a numberand it’s not pricy. From here there are day trips to Apo Island, where you havepristine dive sites, some of the best on the Philippines. Dauin also have driftdives, underwater warm springs, lots of corals, shallow dives, deep dives and apossibility to snorkel with juvenile whale sharks if you get a day trip toSumilon Island where you do wall dives. If you take a day off from diving in Dumaguete then you can go to the local marked, here you can buy all from live stock tosecond hand T-shirts.
From Dumagueteback to Cebu City you have the choice either fly or by boat or boat/buss. If this is of any interest then I can provide more details, or I can come up with some alternatives.
I’m sure you will enjoy your time on the Philippines.

Last edited:
Welcome

Philippine diving has it's own sub-forum here on scubaboard: Philippine Paradise Divers

You'll find lots of useful advice there

Your plan sounds good (2-3 places in 2.5 weeks), remember domestic travel in the PI operates on "island time" so allow plenty of time for that. Early December is peak season so you might want to book ahead for courses and accommodation. Enjoy your trip, lots of great diving there

Jump on Oceanjet ferry at Pier 1 in Cebu to Tagbilaran,Bohol. (2hrs) Grab a taxis to beautiful Alona Beach.(30 mins) There are several places to stay & dive. I prefer Seaquest or Go Scuba for dive shops. Depends on what you budget is but I like Birdwatchers Beach Hotel right on the beach. Alona Beach is just the right size for a great vacation,diving,sightseeing,live music,and great places to eat. Rent a scooter for all day for $15usd and tour the island. There's no hustlers,ladyboys,working girls,or lawless gangs to worry about. Check other threads about Alona Beach or PM me.

Dive safe & Have Fun!
KT

You need to make reservation in Dec.
A round trip starts from:
1. Malapascua(thresher shark, big wreck)
2. Alona Beach(school of jack).
3. Dumaguete(macro).
4. Moalboal(sardines are back)
5. Oslob(whaleshark in a circus)
The private transfer from Cebu to Malapascua is expensive. But if you are up to it then public transport is available but you must start early in the morning.
I would suggest a private transfer to Malapascua and utilize the public transfer back to Cebu.
From Cebu there are fast crafts to Tagbilaran(Bohol for Alona Beach) from either Pier 1 or 4. Journey takes just over 2hrs. From the ferry terminal(Tagbilaran) you have a choice of taxi or tricycle to Alona Beach.
Fast ferry also connect Tagbilaran with Dumaguete(Negros island) and Siquijor.
From Dumaguete there is a short ferry crossing back to Cebu Island and there are buses to Cebu city. some of those buses will stop at Moalboal(there are two different routes). The other one will bring you to Oslob though!!
Sipalay is slightly off the beaten track. Getting there is NOT that easy. Same applies to Southern Leyte(Sogod Bay). Time is not on your side.
I am pretty sure you will have a blast. Enjoy

Hey Badak
Nice area to go diving!
I did it with Sea Explorers...they have four different dive bases on good locations. I really liked them, cos of the fact that at the begin u buy a dive package with a numerous of dives. I could decide individually how many dives and where I was going to do them...for me that was the perfect option...
A "must do" is in Malapascua, the early morning dives with the thresher shark (it's worth to get up so early in the morning:wink: )
I never went muck diving before, but I really liked the one in Dauin!
If you look for a quiet spot, go to Cabilao...good diving spot, but very quiet in the evening...For a good night, head to Alona beach..they have bars with live music and a good variety of restaurants.
Another thing I liked with this company, was the boat transfer between the islands. During that I was able to dive...so no lost travel time for me there... :)
I din't do a course, but the instructors made a very efficient impression....
Check out the wep page... Scuba Diving in Philippines with Sea ExplorersScuba Diving Philippines
If u have any questions...feel free to ask!
Hope u will have a top time there...
Cheers CD

You have received lots of good tips there already. I agree about pre booking. Usually between about December 10th and 20th it can be 'relatively' quiet before the full Xmas rush but based on how numbers are growing year on year December is going to be busy all around this year. But its still mellow busy compared to places like Thailand! If you need help with your Malapascua leg just let me know.

I also used Sea Explorers. They were great! We visited Malapascua, Cabiloa and Alona beach (in that order). We took a one way flight from Tagbilaran to Cebu at the end of the trip. Otherwise we used the transportation arranged by Sea Explorers. I def recommend Malapascua but you'll want to have your Nitrox cert done before you do the thresher shark dive. They are deep and it's nice if you can hang out there longer. I'd also recommend paying the extra money to go to Gato Island while you're on Malapascua. It's a really fun day and we saw quite a few sharks "under" the island. The divemasters spent the surface intervals singing, playing guitar, etc... We were the envy of all the boats around us.

Hey strauny, how's diving in shanghai ? Lol i plan to get back to the phils. This fall or aprilish. What about you?

---------- Post added August 14th, 2013 at 04:16 PM ----------

Hi badak, philippine diving is great, and your idea of cebu will give you access to 6-7 good diving areas. You might want to decide on 2-3 because with travel time, and the love of diving you will want to stay. Malapascua is good for the threshers, early morning. I suggest that you check flights on cheapoair.com $950, and cebu pacific air for flights to cebu. Get an early one to cebu and catch transport to the village across from malapascua. The public ferry stops early in the day but if you're early enough its sheap to get there. I used "thresher divers " from cebu you can take jet ferris to bohol (alona beach) and south leyte ( sogod bay),. If you go to dumaguette you can access muck diving (dauin), schools of jacks (apo island), and whale sharks (oslob by boat. It's more expensive but the logistics are good.
I've been living and teaching diving in sabang beach, puerto galera, oriental mindoro for the last 6 years . It's easy and inexpensive to get there, stay there, and dive there. You can see most of things that you are looking for and the night life is great. Remember that you lose a day going across the internation date line and depending when you arrive you might have a few days of connectiing times. Call me if i can help. Im in calif now so would be glad to meet with you. 707-533-5186

Hey strauny, how's diving in shanghai ? Lol i plan to get back to the phils. This fall or aprilish. What about you?

Hi John, diving in SH sucks! At least it's only 3 hours flying time to the PI :) I should be back in Nov.

Back
Top Bottom