Roatan Diving and Tikal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tkaelin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Has anyone combined a dive trip to Roatan (or Belize) with a multi day trip out to Tikal? If so I would interested in feedback and recommendations. Also, curious as to what we would do with all our dive gear after diving. Can't imagine lugging the dive gear to Tikal. Thanks.

We did a liveaboard in Belize followed by a stay inland near San Ignacio to do jungle stuff. We did a day trip to Tikal from there, which was good and we saw plenty for us, but it was a long day. You can also stay by Tikal if you want more time there, or some time early/late in the day when there's less people and it's cooler, but I have no first hand experience. There are lots of tour companies that will arrange various sorts of tours and stays, and the lodges will also arrange things. You could probably arrange a stay at a lodge in Belize and arrange to leave gear there while you did an overnight or more at Tikal then came back.

I'm thinking if you want to see Tikal specifically it would best be combined with a Belize trip, as I'm not sure there is any convenient way to get from Roatan to Tikal, but I could be wrong. If you're not set on Tikal you could also look into seeing Copan in Honduras, if you flew through San Pedro Sula.

i agree, a trip to tikal and belize makes a lot more sense. i drove from belize city to tikal and it was a fun adventure but i would allow at least 2-3 days at tikal, its amazing.
if you really want roatan diving and some culture a great two week trip that i've done is a week diving, followed by 2-3 days at the mayan ruins in copan (honduras) and 2-3 days in antigua, guatemala. we travelled to copan and antigua on hedman alas buses (starting in la ceiba) and it was a great trip. if we'd had 3-4 more days we could have then gone onto tikal from antigua.

We've been to Tikal and Roatan, but not on the same trip. It is doable if you're willing to fly from Roatan to Guatemala City and then on to Flores in the Peten (Guatemala). Flores is an interesting place and is close to Tikal and Yaxha, another Mayan city....both are worth visiting. We arranged for a guide and driver through a company in Flores. As already noted, Antigua in Guatemala is also worth visiting.

There are several trip reports here on a combined diving /adventure vacation.

All are Belize/Tikal - none Roatan/Tikal.

Hello everyone
What do you know about website, west bay lodge roatan. Anyone know if they are a good resource for roatan lodging?
I was looking for some kind of alternative, and that one has had a lot user activity and good stats.
Someone has any ideas, please post here or PM me, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom