What pony size?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cocoajoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Been thinking for a while about a redundant air source. I'm thinking either 19 or 30cu ft. What are advantages (other than less/more air) disadvanatges if any?

I use a 13. I use a Metalsub quick release to attach it to my HP100. The short cylinder allows my main cylinder to fit in most tank racks on liveaboards and day boats, bith the cut off PVC as well as the roll control style. A 19 is too long, and a 30 is right out. To me, the 13 is enough to make a direct ascent to the surface from any depth, and certainly allows for a safety stop. If I'm deco diving, I consider a 40 of an O2 blend right, but that's an answer to a different question. Huffers have to consider their air consumption, I have a pretty good SAC for a fat 50 year old.

I use a 13. I use a Metalsub quick release to attach it to my HP100. The short cylinder allows my main cylinder to fit in most tank racks on liveaboards and day boats, bith the cut off PVC as well as the roll control style. A 19 is too long, and a 30 is right out. To me, the 13 is enough to make a direct ascent to the surface from any depth, and certainly allows for a safety stop. If I'm deco diving, I consider a 40 of an O2 blend right, but that's an answer to a different question. Huffers have to consider their air consumption, I have a pretty good SAC for a fat 50 year old.

"A 19 too long and 30 is right out". Could you clarify? Also, I know it shouldn't happen but if I accidentally find myself with a deco obligation, wouldn't a 30 be better?

This will sound snotty as hell, and it's not meant that way, but if you're incurring a deco obligation by mistake, you need to go back and re-learn to dive. Or, take a deco class so you will know what you don't know and you'll know that a 19 is relatively innapropriate for a deco gas bottle.

If I used a 19, my main cylinder wouldn't fit in a tank rack on a dive boat, and if I used a 30 it wouldn't fit even more. The 19 and the 30 are far taller than a 13, and remember, I keep mine attached to the main cylinder. If you sling it or keep it in your pocket or something you won't have a problem with cylinder length.

... for a fat 50 year old.

You"re 50!!!

I find a 13 to be adequate but you need to keep it full. I also have a 19 and even if the pressure drops over a few days of diving, it is still more than enough from any recreational depth. The 13 travels a bit better.

This will sound snotty as hell, and it's not meant that way, but if you're incurring a deco obligation by mistake, you need to go back and re-learn to dive. Or, take a deco class so you will know what you don't know and you'll know that a 19 is relatively innapropriate for a deco gas bottle.

If I used a 19, my main cylinder wouldn't fit in a tank rack on a dive boat, and if I used a 30 it wouldn't fit even more. The 19 and the 30 are far taller than a 13, and remember, I keep mine attached to the main cylinder. If you sling it or keep it in your pocket or something you won't have a problem with cylinder length.

19 & 30 won't fit in rack, got it. As for your "go back and learn how to dive" comment....no but you could use a refresher course in social skills

19 & 30 won't fit in rack, got it. As for your "go back and learn how to dive" comment....no but you could use a refresher course in social skills

If you are designing your gear around the event that you accidentally incur a deco obligation, you might want to go for the golf clubs rather than a pony.

no but you could use a refresher course in social skills

Like it or not it's the truth and when you deal in this business there is very little room for error. Actually there's no room for error. Wookie was spot on with that comment and sometimes people need a healthy dose of reality to keep them in check and remind them of their training etc. You're reading text yet the tonality of his voice while speaking the same comment could be conveyed in a completely different manner (hence the fact that he pointed out it's not meant to be snotty prior to). Don't be so quick to jump. If anything your comment was probably worse IMHO

First you need to decide if you just want enough for a safe ascent to the surface and from what max depth or if you want enough for a safety stop. Once you decide this, if you know you're "stressed" RMV you can calculate a rough minimal cf for your needs. I have a fairly good SAC/RMV as a petite female so with a 13 cf I can make a nice slow ascent and a full SS from 100 feet with some air to spare.

As for advantage/disadvantage of each, the obvious is all I can think of...

Back
Top Bottom