Visiting Kauai? Don't miss Koloa Landing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquamanKauai

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Aloha across the ocean!

For those of you making plans for a visit to Kauai... Consider looking at the option of a day of diving at the south shore gem called "Koloa Landing." The protected and critter filled bay is one of the often overlooked dives on the island. Many divers hear "shore" and get chills thinking about grueling marches down cliffs or tumbles through surf and hikes across sand.... Obviously this falls short of most of our dive experience desires. Having been an instructor for nearly 15 years in Hawaii, Koloa Landing has been a long time favorite for new and old (experienced ) divers alike. The location has is loaded with Hawaiian Green Sea Turtles, Scorpion Fish (Leaf and Devil in particular), Moray Eels, Morish Idols, Butterflyfish, Banded Coral Shrimp etc... Often you can spot frogfish, Gunaurds, Eagle Rays, and many Nudibranchs. The maximum depth is realistically 40 ft for most divers and visibility is generally very good (avoid times of moderate to heavy rain and or south swells). Many of the instructors down there have years and years of experience at the site and are sure to show you an amazing time.

Winter months give you the chance of hearing the Humpback Whales singing as the acoustics in the bay are unreal.

Should you be visiting the island at any point feel free to send me a personal message with any questions about your visit (diving or otherwise). Fathom Five, Bubbles Below, Seasport Divers, Kauai Down Under and Scuba Steve are just some of the options while visiting.

Hope you summer is going fantastic and that you may be considering the islands.

As a side note for those it may help and based on my experience here over the years I would suggest contacting "Shaka Doug" for Maui - and "Scottie the Duck" for Oahu with personal messages addressing those specific islands.

Best of island wishes
A

Hmm....I'm going to be there in late September. Plan on doing some diving along with my son.

I totally agree.

Koloa Landing rocks!

ac407f911f3b880f725c1146d68f5983.jpg
Heres a picture of the entry, it was a little rough that day Oct 24, 2012, you had to time going in between the waves. It was a awesome dive and we saw many of the fish the OP said.

Small little video I put together from a dive last Sunday, August 25th, at Koloa Landing. Hope you enjoy and make sure to watch it in 1080p. Let me know if you have any questions about the site and/or diving on Kauai.

[video=youtube;UzmTIxPZasc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzmTIxPZasc[/video]

Have you seen any frogfish? I looked for two weeks in July and didn't see one. Great video.

In oct I didn't see any there but we did see one at Amber's Arches. It was up under a ledge you had to flip upside down and go in about 5 ft. Bright yellow and kinda ugly and I would have never seen it if the DM hadn't been looking for him.

Hey, I recognize those videos ;-)

And don't forget the spotted eagle ray we saw on the same dive Mike! And the flounder yesterday.

In the last week I dove this site for 4 tanks, and will be doing more before I head back. Lots to see, and very pretty.

Here's a still from the video with the snowflake eel. This was at about 35-40', so clear and pretty
eA0HsVw.jpg

Here's a video of the spotted eagle ray. Watch it full screen in 1080p

[video=youtube;0uGQFaFFaW8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uGQFaFFaW8[/video]

Koloa Landing is always full of critters!! Found this guy on an afternoon dive. Make sure to watch at 1080p to see it change texture and colors.

[video=youtube;1ZEXg42QHM0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZEXg42QHM0[/video]

Fantastic frogfish at the Landing right now. A very rare species called a Lined Frogfish has made a home in a small coral head in 30ft of water on the inside! Also found a nice Commersons on the outside this week. Should you return in the near to distant future drop me a message and I'll get you directions on the latest and greatest critter homes at the time of your visit.

Happy Diving
A

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom